Hlp-4663w won't turn on, makes a high pitched wine

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
liebevision
Contributor
Contributor

Hlp-4663w won't turn on, makes a high pitched wine

Postby liebevision » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:37 am

When I turn on the unit it won't fire the lamp and makes a high pitch whine. Before every once in a while it would turn out and once on it would run until turned off normally and operate without issue. Once and a while has now turned into never. It'll try to fire 3 or 4 times then just flash all 3 lights.

I've replaced the color wheel in the past year, the fans are all good and I just replaced the lamp and the ballast

The shriek sounds like it is coming from either the dmd board (god help me) or the aux. power supply board. I can't tell which by ear.

Here's a video of what it is doing.

Any help in diagnosis would be great. I can take apart and re-assemble anything in this tv so I'd hate to pay someone to come do it.

rougeleader
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Re: Hlp-4663w won't turn on, makes a high pitched wine

Postby rougeleader » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:09 pm

hi, welcome!!!
hey thanks for the video, it helps a lot!

to me that high pitch squeal is due to you color wheel bearing wearing out and starting to grind, but you replaced it last year you said?
did you get a new part or a refurbished one?

SrMerlyn
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby SrMerlyn » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:40 pm

Sounds like you have a defective color wheel. Make sure you are purchasing new parts from a reputable online company. You also want to make sure your are purchasing the newer air bearing color wheels. The older models had a regular bearing color wheel that caused a lot of problems so Samsung started using an air bearing color wheel. It's easy to tell the difference. The regular bearing version is gold and the air bearing version is silver. Samsung discontinued the original version of the color wheel, but there are still a lot of them in the market, so again, make sure you purchase it from a reputable company.

liebevision
Contributor
Contributor

Postby liebevision » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:12 pm

Yeah, I replaced the color wheel with one from partsstore.com last year. The sound is more electronic-y then when the color wheel went bad. That sorta sounded like a fan that's off kilter like a grinding noise. This is more of a electronic noise like someone trying to play a theremin.

It never made this noise once it did power up, when it would power up. When the color wheel goes out the tv usually works for a while with a grinding whine, and it never made this noise with the tv actually running.

I also forget to add that it'll try firing 4 or 5 times before giving up, and that each time, the electronic whine drops in pitch.

SrMerlyn
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby SrMerlyn » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:46 pm

How long ago did you replace the lamp and ballast? Did you get those from parts store too? Did you purchase a Philips lamp?

liebevision
Contributor
Contributor

Postby liebevision » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:54 am

the ballast was about a week ago from partsstore, and the lamp was about 4 months before and it's a generic one.

Inthered
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Inthered » Tue May 10, 2011 11:49 pm

Did you ever get this issue resolved? If so what did it turn out to be?

Return to “Samsung Discussion”