Samsung HLR5668W Not working after new color wheel

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
mblanke

Samsung HLR5668W Not working after new color wheel

Postby mblanke » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:04 pm

I have a Samsung DLP HLR5668W. A few days ago, it started making a horrible sound and there was no picture. I thought it might be the bulb, and quickly got a replacement and replaced it. Not the first time I have replaced the bulb. However, the horrible sound still existed. I did a bit of research and discovred it was probably the color wheel. I was able to find the replacement part and replaced the color wheel. Thanks for all thei info fixyourdlp.com. The colorwheel was shattered! So now I thought everything would be fine, but unfortunately, I am getting no picture.
When I turn on the TV, the fans are working, there is no light from the main bulb, and the colorwheel is not spinning. I did remove the bulb and validate that the new colorwheel is not spinning. Yes I also made sure the blue door switch is pinned down (and up for that matter). I double checked the two connections to the color wheel and validated that the ribbon cable is facing the correct direction. I even connect the old color wheel two wires back and turned it on again to see if would spin. No luck. I have put everything back and tried the original bulb, which was probably not bad and it still doesn work.

The sequence I am getting when it power's on is:
I hear a quiet click, the two green LEDs light on the circuitboard in the middle and the fan goes on.
I also notice that there are 3 LEDs lit behind the video input panel on the left side (looking at the back of the tv)
There is no light coming from the bulb and the colorwheel is not spinning.
After 30 seconds, I hear a few clicks and a mild ping, and it seems to try again. Another 30 seconds goes by and it seems to try one more time before it shuts down in 30 seconds.

What should I test out? Could it possible be the ballast too? What are the chances it went when I replaced the color wheel? I have double and triple checked all of my connections.

Thanks - Mark

rougeleader
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Re: Samsung HLR5668W Not working after new color wheel

Postby rougeleader » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:49 pm

hi, very good description by the way!!
to me it seems that we are now facing a ballast problem, due to the clicking. I suggest you read this:

i hope this helps

mblanke

Postby mblanke » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:47 pm

It seems that my Ballast is in working order - At least it is giving me positive continuity.

What are the reasons that would cause the color wheel to not spin?

Tayla38

Postby Tayla38 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:43 am

I recently replaced the color wheel and ballast and had the same problem. Yes I swore that I had my sliver pieces that come directly from the color wheel placed correctly to the small slots. Finely after taking apart twice , I rechecked the sliver piece and turned it the opposing way I originally thought it was to be. I plugged it in and had it hooked up to the cable line directly for video reception. Viola, It kicked on and a picture appeared ! Now if I can get the speakers to stop screeching. Hope this helps.I have found its the littlest thing that can diminish the overall repair.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”