When should the color wheel start spinning??

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
DaveC
Likes to Post
Likes to Post

When should the color wheel start spinning??

Postby DaveC » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:06 pm

Hello everyone! One of these days I will be able to replace this old DLP set, but for now, I will try to fix it one more time. Here is my issue.

About 6mos ago I had the color wheel shatter. I replaced it and the ballast since I had a new one. It has been fine until last night, when the lamp would not light. I checked the lamp (tried a new one), checked the fans (all spinning), replaced the ballast again (no change). I finally tried starting the set with the lamp out so I could observe the color wheel. It did not spin!

I took off the color wheel housing and turned the glass wheel gently by hand, it moved fine as far as I could tell. It wasn't stuck, and turned the same as an old one I had to compare to. I then checked both color wheel connections (re-seated them), put it back together, and tried again...no change.

Since I never observed the color wheel when the set was working, I'm not certain when it starts up? Should it start spinning as soon as power is on, or does the lamp need to light or some other sequence? Is there anything else I should check?

After bad luck with aftermarket color wheels I installed a genuine OEM part, so it shouldn't go bad so soon, so I am wondering if it is getting power or not, but not certain how to check that?

Anyway, knowing precisely when and in what sequence the color wheel should start spinning will be very helpful. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Return to “Samsung Discussion”