HLN 467 picture issues

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
BrotherRob
Contributor
Contributor

HLN 467 picture issues

Postby BrotherRob » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:59 am

I'm having some odd problems with my DLP. Periodically the lamp is shutting down, sometimes it just shuts off, other times I get an odd, frozen black and white image. The LEDs are not flashing nor have there been any error messages so there is no indication of an error or reason. If I shut it off with the remote or the power button, it will not turn back on and the lamp light blinks but if I unplug it and plug is back in, it fires right back up.

I bought the unit used so I don't know much about it's history. The picture is bright, so I don't think the lamp is failing. There is some faint color wheel whine at start up but it doesn't sound to damning at this point. When I shut in off and restart with the remote, I do get a noise that sounds like a failing fan but there's been no indication of an over heat. The noise does not occur if I unplug it before restarting and I wouldn't think I could restart it if it was overheated. I did open it up to clean it out. It was surprisingly clean and all the fans turned freely.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
Attachments
dlp 002.jpg
dlp 002.jpg (106.33 KiB) Viewed 3836 times
dlp 001.jpg
dlp 001.jpg (95.42 KiB) Viewed 3836 times

BrotherRob
Contributor
Contributor

Re: HLN 467 picture issues

Postby BrotherRob » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks Robert,
The images I posted are a latent, frozen, black and white image that is sometimes left behind when the picture shuts down. Would a color wheel cause an intermittent shut down of the picture? I am getting a bit of saturation of yellow and green. I've tried to adjust the picture but it seems like I have a choice between to much green or red. If I turn brightness and sharpness down, I get pretty accurate colors but all colors are muted. I've not seen it go completely black and white except for the frozen images.

I don't know if it's pertinent but I am just using OTA broadcasts. Because this unit does not have a digital turner, I have to use a converter box. This connects to the analog video board. It works okay but I do tend to get some diagonal distortion lines in the picture. This distortion is not present when I switch to DVD. It's clearly and input issue, it seems the unit doesn't like being turned thru a video connection but I doubt that this is related to the other issue.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”