HL-S6187W intermitent Knocking sound

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
forbish07
Contributor
Contributor

HL-S6187W intermitent Knocking sound

Postby forbish07 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:16 am

Hey there thanks in advance for any help on this!! As the subject line states, I own an approximately 5 year old Samsung HL-S6187W Dlp TV that just started having an intermittent problem. Under normal operating conditions, a single light knock sound is heard along with some other start up whizzes and beeps and off we go watching TV. Lately sometimes when you turn on the TV that knock sound will happen over and over again as if the TV is attempting to start up but cant quite make it. The screen DOES come on but it flashes from bright to dim, bright to dim, etc... in sequence with the knocking and I haven't seen any warning lights or anything like that come on in the front that are out of the ordinary. Once it does this it will knock knock knock for 30 -60 seconds or so and then turn itself off. If I wait a minute or two after it turns itself off I can then turn the TV on without any issues (for now) but it seems to be doing it more and more now and it only started happening about 3 or so weeks ago. I am HOPING this is something simple like a bulb/ballast but figured I would ask the experts!!! And also to throw it out there, there doesn't seem to be any other sounds other then the knocking. Thanks again!!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: HL-S6187W intermitent Knocking sound

Postby grayfox » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:14 am

Hello,
well it sounds to me like you might have an issue with your colorwheel. I think it shattered or one of the color slides fell off... again I am just brainstorming but i think if you open up your tv and take a look at your colorwheel it might be physically damaged (this is not unheard of...)
Below you can find a picture and part number of the colorwheel your tv uses!
Hope this helps!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

forbish07
Contributor
Contributor

Postby forbish07 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:06 am

The tv still functions just fine and the color is normal. As my post stated, it will make this sound and once it shuts itself down, I can fire up the tv and it is working properly. Could this still be a color wheel issue?? Thanks!!

Tayla38

Postby Tayla38 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:06 am

Yes as it is the spring or components of the wheel creating the RPMS at such a rate. Sure you'll still have "functions" but the matter in which you describe does fall under the color wheel needing replaced .

forbish07
Contributor
Contributor

Postby forbish07 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:45 pm

OK, since I now have 2 folks saying the same thing I am almost completely convinced now!! I just have so little money that I dont want to buy something that may be unnecessary!! Last time on this subject...... I was able to capture the issue happening on video if you would like to check it out. In the beginning of the video the problem starts, the knocking sound gets progressively faster throughout and at the end it shows the tv turning off and then me turning it back on and it is then working perfectly. I was incorrect in one statement, the tv does NOT turn itself off, I have to actually turn off the power and then the knocking will continue until it shuts down completely as you can see in the video. Sorry its like 5 minutes long so bare with me!! If I get a resounding "ITS THE DARN COLOR WHEEL" again, then I will be 100% satisfied!! Thanks again everyone who has replied to my post, my wife is 39 and a half weeks pregnant and she will definitely want her TV while she is on maternity leave!! :D

Here is the link to the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5tk-tj89g8

Technician
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby Technician » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:26 pm

hello! :D
Please take a second to make sure all fans are powering on and if so... i think it might be THE COLORWHEEL!!! :lol:
[url]https://www.discount-merchant.com/[/url]

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:28 pm

colorwheel... :mrgreen: BTW congrats on the baby!!!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Technician
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby Technician » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Yes congrats on the baby to come, the baby featured in my avatar is my very own 5 month old baby girl :D and yes Colorwheel... :?:
[url]https://www.discount-merchant.com/[/url]

Return to “Samsung Discussion”