hlm507W..Wife and Daughter are not happy.PICS VID

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
redsoxvw
Contributor
Contributor

hlm507W..Wife and Daughter are not happy.PICS VID

Postby redsoxvw » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:20 am

Please HELP......We went from our nice clear hlm507W HD 50" DLP...to a 24" emergency setup :shock: LOL. My wife is more concerned than I am, and my 2 year old daughter cant figure out why the BIG ONE doesnt work :lol: .......

The Set was purchased New in 2003......The color wheel and bulb where replaced under extended warranty in 2006..........

The problem Im having is this :

1. A few weeks ago it started taking a few minutes to turn on.......

2. Last week it went out, and wouldn't start up.......(3 LIGHTS OF DEATH)......unplugged, plugged back in fired up....

3. Yesterday......NOTHING NADDA>>>>>>>>>ZIP

I turn the set on, i can her that warm up sound,,,,,,then get a few clicks ( 3-5 seconds) like the bulb is trying to fire up...Then nothing.....it repeats this process maybe 4-5 times and then gives me the 3 LIGHTS OF DEATH.....

I pulled the lamp out and checked for anything out of the ordinary....I.E.....lint in than fan , dust dirt, burnt bulb, funny smells, cracked color wheel etc.........
All seems Ok.......

Would it be safe to say the lamp is dead?.....if it was the ballast it would click away like crazy correct?.....This clicks for a couple seconds and stops....there are no high pitched squeeks or noisy as a color wheel bearing would give of either.......

Im just trying to narrow it down to save a few bucks :mrgreen: ..........any and all help is GREATLY APPRECIATED.......
Last edited by redsoxvw on Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: hlm507W..Wife and Daughter are not happy..LOL

Postby grayfox » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:33 am

hello, :lol:
:!: actually the ballast can be defective and only give off one click, or many, or a whole buzzing sound! so I would not discard the ballast as an issue. First how long has it been since you changed the lamp???
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

redsoxvw
Contributor
Contributor

Postby redsoxvw » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:32 am

The lamp has 4 years on it..........

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:06 pm

yeah, I would start with the lamp! ;)
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

redsoxvw
Contributor
Contributor

Postby redsoxvw » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:22 pm

I moved the DLP to my man cave room, and got the back cover off.......When it clicks for the 3-5 seconds i can see the bulb flicker like its trying to light.....The color wheel spins....the fans work etc........I took a video of the sound it makes......you cant really see the flicker from the bulb, but it does.....Also i attacthced a pic to show where my ballast is mounted........I was under the impression that I would have to dig deep to get to it?

redsoxvw
Contributor
Contributor

Re: hlm507W..Wife and Daughter are not happy.PICS VID

Postby redsoxvw » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:44 pm

Would this be the right ballast? My model is HLM507W http://www.samsungparts.com/Products/Pa ... el=HLM507W

Im leaning toward ballast, unless you guys think other wise?

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:17 am

yup that would be the ballast, after your attachments i am leaning more and more towards this being your problem..
try ordering it from a place with a more flexible return policy ;)

redsoxvw
Contributor
Contributor

Postby redsoxvw » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:26 am

So this part number should work BP47-00017A ?????..If so Sears has it for $63 8-)

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:43 am

it should i mean i use samsungparts to find part numbers they suggest for specific tvs and then buy it elsewhere ;)
kinda like you're :twisted: going to do!

redsoxvw
Contributor
Contributor

Postby redsoxvw » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:47 am

Thanks Angel.....going to order it in the morning.......I will post pics of the INSTALL.......hopefully it will help someone along the way 8-)

Technician
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby Technician » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:19 am

:D thank you guys hopefully it will. good luck, have fun! post or IM with any questions!
[url]https://www.discount-merchant.com/[/url]

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:23 am

welcome!!!

redsoxvw
Contributor
Contributor

Postby redsoxvw » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Well, hit my first snag.......Before I ordered the part online I figure I would check locally.....I found the only guy on Cape Cod that carries parts, and repairs TVs.....New and used parts as well. The Best part is he is about 10 minutes away :D ........

I get to the shop, and explain my situation.....he says he just parted out the same TV.....50'' samsung........he gives me a working ballast for $25. I thank him and bring it home, and get mine out of the DLP.....Ughhhhhhhhh......totally different......I brought the part back, and he said he had to order it.

Here is what he gave me at first

This is pretty much EXACTLY what mine looks like

I could really use an accurate part number if you guys could think of one LOL.....Please HELP

Technician
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby Technician » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:46 pm

if you could take out your original out of your tv and take pictures of both sides I could tell you what number to look this by or help you find it :mrgreen:
[url]https://www.discount-merchant.com/[/url]

redsoxvw
Contributor
Contributor

Postby redsoxvw » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:15 pm

Ughhhhhhh.....Im stressed out to the MAX now.......Im getting the run around from the TV repair guy....First he has one in stock, then he has to order it, then ITS TOO OLD to test......blah blah.........

Then he says, Its probably just the bulb, and he hardly ever sees the ballast die?........So I say hey you got a good used bulb I can try out?...(he sells used parts)......He says nope....

So I ask If he has any new ones in stock that I could buy to try out.......He says well they are like $175 dollars I laughed and said I could buy them online substantially cheaper.....He said GOOD LUCK, My parts are GENUINE ........

So hes got an attitude and we start having this pissing contest.....Then he trys a sales pitch too sell me a TV.....I told him hey buddy Im all set, and asked for my refund (for the wrong ballast he gave me)....He rolled his eyes......

I told him I would buy the parts online and do it myself with out his help.....He said and I quote "YOU need to go to the school or those TVs.....You will never do it with out schooling"? ...........I then proceeded to grow red in the face and lash out.........

I will save you guys the details, but he chilled out with the attitude when I was done.........

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, just need to vent sorry.........The 83" mitsubishi is looking mighty fine right now........

Return to “Samsung Discussion”