Intermittent "Pop" sound accompanied by screen dim

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
forbish07
Contributor
Contributor

Intermittent "Pop" sound accompanied by screen dim

Postby forbish07 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:48 pm

This morning while watching my TV I heard a pop sound and the screen dimmed briefly. The brightness came back after a few seconds and then a couple minutes later it did it again. And then I heard some buzzing/grinding and figured that my color wheel just took a dive. I just so happened to have a replacement color wheel on hand so I threw it in and it seemed fine for about 10 minutes.

The intermittent popping sound started up again which is accompanied by the screen dimming. It will dim with a Pop and get bright again and sort of flicker and dim and back to bright. The bulb is about 9 months old (of course it only had a 6 month warranty).

Does this sound like a failing bulb already? Ballast? Both?

BTW my TV is a Samsung HL-S6187W. Thanks for your time.

PS- Upon shutting the TV off just now on cool down I heard a brief Gurgling/grinding/grrrring out of teh set. Lasted about 1-2 seconds only. Weird....

forbish07
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Intermittent "Pop" sound accompanied by screen dim

Postby forbish07 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:43 pm

OK. I should also mention one thing that I saw that was weird though when I was replacing the color wheel. When I pulled the light out to inspect it, there was some sediment of some sort in the bottom of the bulb as if it had broken/burst/fallen off of something inside the bulb. Is that normal? Or does it actually point to an issue with the bulb? Like maybe there IS an issue with the bulb like the firing gap or something?

forbish07
Contributor
Contributor

Postby forbish07 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:23 pm

So here is an update. I replaced the bulb, no fix. I replaced the Ballast board, no fix...... What is left??

So far I have replaced the Color wheel, Bulb, and Ballast. I think anything else is going to be costly.

Update on the sound, it actually sounds more like a MASSIVE hard drive when it is making the noise.

Any more ideas?

forbish07
Contributor
Contributor

Postby forbish07 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:02 pm

This ended up being a bad Dynamic Black module. Fixed it and the Video is great now with no noises! I am now having an audio ussue which is new. If you have any ideas on that, that post is here

Return to “Samsung Discussion”