Samsung HLS 5086WX/XAA Solarized/Distorted Picture

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
kminer49er
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung HLS 5086WX/XAA Solarized/Distorted Picture

Postby kminer49er » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:47 am

15 to 20 minutes after turning the set on, the image on the set distorts and the color shifts. The image becomes solarized and sometimes freezes and/or develops black lines across the screen. This is accompanied by a high-pitched whine; not unlike a dentist's drill. When I turn the set around, I can see that the lamp is still lit and warm air is blowing out the exhaust vent. Sometimes, after a few minutes, the whine stops, the screen returns to normal and remains normal for the rest of the day. Occasionally, the set shuts-off and all three indicator lamps flash on-and-off. But when restarted, the set comes on and functions like it just came out of the box.
I have replaced the color-wheel, used canned air and a vacuum to remove dust but the problem persists. My next attempt at repair will be to replace the fan that cools the lamp.
Any other ideas?

kminer49er
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Samsung HLS 5086WX/XAA Solarized/Distorted Picture

Postby kminer49er » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:47 am

Please re-read my whole post. The very first thing I did was replace the old color wheel with brand-new unit. Within 24 hours, the exact same symptons re-appeared. I thought the whine might be the large cooling fan that blows on the lamp assembly. I replaced it also. That wasn't it either. Same symptoms after replacing that fan. About the only thing left is the lamp (not likley that it would produce a whine,) maybe the ballast?? but no 'clicking'! or the small fan??? but would any of those distort the picture?? I've posted a couple of pictures showing one type of distortion (bars.) The solarized picure is without bars but the picture is mostly orange and yellow. Immediately after the set shuts off and the lights flash, if I tun it on it is good for the rest of the night. If you want, I can take a picture of that screen also. Right now it is operating normally.

kminer49er
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Samsung HLS 5086WX/XAA Solarized/Distorted Picture

Postby kminer49er » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:57 am

Screen shot
Attachments
Bar-4.jpg
Bars 2
Bar-4.jpg (221.51 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
Bar-Screen3.jpg
Bars