HLP4663WX/XAA green outlines and specks in picture

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
noakes
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

HLP4663WX/XAA green outlines and specks in picture

Postby noakes » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:04 am

DLP has green lines and flecks throughout picture.
When on 4:3 aspect ratio the normally black sections on the left and right of the picture are bright green.
Green has the appearance of bright green lines within picture elements, for example lettering could have the appearance of having bright green shadows. There are also green flecks in the picture that constantly change with the video, similar to what the northern lights look like.

This condition exists in PIP mode in both pictures.
This condition does not exist in the Menu mode.
Not able to check with HDMI input.
Test screens all okay all colors are consistently the same color.
DVD input also shows the same green problem.

Attached pictures show the color as blue/green but it is a bright green.

Suspect the digital board rather than the DMD board. Need a way to pin down the actual board causing this.
Attachments
DLP picture with green bars and blotches.jpg
DLP picture with green bars and blotches.jpg (33.78 KiB) Viewed 22751 times
DLP picture 2 with green bars and blotches.jpg
DLP picture 2 with green bars and blotches.jpg (27.54 KiB) Viewed 22751 times

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: HLP4663WX/XAA green outlines and specks in picture

Postby grayfox » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:46 pm

Hello,
I think this will most likely be the DMD board, the only way to rule this our would be to test analog versus digital inputs...
you mention you cannot test with HDMI, how about a DVI?
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

noakes
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby noakes » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:12 am

I will pick up an HDMI cable this weekend at a hamfest and let you know what the pic looks like. The cable box here does have an HDMI port.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:26 am

ok once you do test it against a completely analog input (say a coaxial). three possible outcomes,

The Digital looks bad, the Analog does not: This is most likely a problem with your input board or DMD...

The Analog looks bad , the Digital does not: This is almost certain a problem with the Digital video board...

Both inputs look bad: probably your DMD board...

keep me posted!!! :mrgreen:
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

noakes
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby noakes » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:30 pm

Greyfox,
Tried the HDMI input today. Pictures are still the same, only now in HD.
Some pictures are fine others are really torn up mostly dark areas affected.

You believe this is probably the DMD board, any way of further troubleshooting this?
Any chance of checking the color wheel or the mirror chip itself?

Your thoughts please.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:55 pm

hhmm, yeah if you open up your tv and in the light tunnel between the lamp and the projector there is a housing with the colorwheel, if it skeaks wehn turned or is physically damaged it is a sure way of knowing... note* it does not have to show physical damage to be defective, the only sure fire way to know would be to buy a new one and try it out!
hope this helps

noakes
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby noakes » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:55 am

Grayfox,

Have been looking for used parts for this set, not much available. Seems that this is one of the lesser made sets which means the parts will be scarcer.
I know of no way to further test the set without replacing parts/board assemblies.
I remember years ago I could scope points on the various circuits, alas no more of that.

No unusual noises from the color wheel, but as you say it could still be the problem.

Some area of the picture are perfect, some screens are perfect. The green 'bloom' is most noticeable next to black areas and large text. I am thinking it could easily be the color wheel and for $125 I could find out.
Debating on whether it is prudent to put money into this set. It has been a very good set original lamp in it.
Do you know if a computer can be connected to the set for troubleshooting?

thanks,

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:12 pm

I have seen some sort of service computers, kind of like the ones used to diagnose car problems, but only certified technicians can purchase these and they are very expensive, not worth the trouble unless you plan on fixing a bunch of Samsung DLPs!

I would try the colorwheel, the only problem seems to be the hue/tint green shadowing. As long as you have a clear picture and only the coloration is affected I am 90% sure this is the problem.

Hope this helps :mrgreen:

noakes
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby noakes » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:06 am

Grayfox,

Installed the new color wheel, it took care of the gross green problem.
I still have green 'squiggles' they appear something like will-o-wisps that come and go and get into various sections of the picture.
Hard to describe them, usually in the flesh colored areas or other light areas they keep moving.

Could this be due to an adjustment within the TV? I checked the DDP1011: delay adjustment to make sure the line at the bottom was red. Found I had a very large range of valued to choose from. FWIW I did this check before I changed the wheel, I could not get red at the bottom!

Sometimes there are red or green horizontal lines in the picture usually they appear within a dark area.

Is there anything available that you know of that explains what the various settings in the service screens will affect? The service manual does not explain these it only lets one know they exist.

Thanks for the analysis earlier, the picture itself is good.
Nate

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:28 pm

Hello! you're welcome =)

Its hard to diagnose this over a forum, do you have any images, I am sure our forum members and I can help further :mrgreen:

noakes
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby noakes » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:35 pm

Ok here are a few pictures, the camera tends to overexpose so many of the lines are not visible.
I'll provide notes with each picture.

The colors that don't belong are not always green, with a red background a lot of black lines appear. They generally move along with the picture.

Don't know how else to get a good picture on line, hope this is meaningful to someone in the forum.
Attachments
samsung dlp pic 3.jpg
The top half of the picture are overexposed but do have green lines in them. Note the green 'snakes' below the face.
samsung dlp pic 3.jpg (28.04 KiB) Viewed 22698 times
samsung dlp pic 2.jpg
The green lines are still in the face but not visible due to camera limitations. Note the streaks in the box below the person. The green and magenta streaks shouldn't be there.
samsung dlp pic 2.jpg (33.83 KiB) Viewed 22698 times
samsung dlp pic 1.jpg
Note the green smear in the face, also has the same color streaks in the lighter areas of the picture.
samsung dlp pic 1.jpg (30.53 KiB) Viewed 22698 times

noakes
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby noakes » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:12 am

Grayfox and all who have looked at this posting.

I took new pictures with a much better camera that show what the lines in the picture look like.
I will open a new post on this under the title of 'wavy lines and smears in picture', which much better describes the symptom.

Nate

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:03 pm

this looks to me like a digital video board issue, again the images are not as clear for me to be certain... this same distortion you are getting on all inputs?

noakes
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby noakes » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:56 pm

The blotches and smears show up on both analog and HDMI inputs.
It is interesting to me that they also show up as trailing smears on the 'dialog' boxes generated by the tv itself, such as 'check signal input' or 'tv cable input' that are generated when input signal to the tv is lost.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:56 pm

Because of the color and the distortion you describe in the pictures, I think a safer bet would be to replace the colorwheel first as a cheaper way to trouble shoot, I am ruling out DV board since Analog and HDMI inputs seem to have same distortion...
hope this helps! :?

noakes
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby noakes » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:08 pm

The color wheel was just replaced. I had an earlier post up with pictures of the set prior to the wheel being replaced. There are marked differences in those pics and these.
I am not ruling out the new color wheel as being a problem but I am not familiar enough with the dlp system to be sure of any diagnosis on my part.

noakes
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby noakes » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:12 pm

Ok so this is the original posting, I opened a new one after I changed the color wheel and the picture improved but was not yet what it should be.

Please look at the newer issue posting.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:05 pm

will do!

Return to “Samsung Discussion”