My New issue Is your Old fixed issue.... I hope

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
TiE2000
Contributor
Contributor

My New issue Is your Old fixed issue.... I hope

Postby TiE2000 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:36 pm

Hello all, I have a 2 year old Samsung DLP TV - model number HL-T5075S.

History of issues -

Bought the TV on April 22nd 2007, brought TV home Turned it on and got a Buzzing noise for about 15 secs at power on... this was right out of the box. I then returned the set the very next day.

TV worked great for 4 months. (Lucky I bought the 2 year extended warranty). At the 4 month mark my TV just shut down, and got the red light code. I called support they told me my bulb needed to be replaced. Waited 15 days, got new bulb and replaced.

this fixed my TV for 4 more months. same issue, called support they shipped a new bulb replaced. Fixed issue.

18 month mark, my 3rd bulb died.. but this time the symptoms were different at shut down. TV started buzzing like the first returned TV, then shut down. I then called support they said again it was the bulb and shipped me a new one... now here is the kicker - I replaced the bulb, TV turned on everything was gravy.. except my green LED light was no longer lit during power on. I would only see 1 red light when the TV was not running... hmmm. I figured this was weird bug due to the TV going through so many bulbs. TV worked great like this for 6 months.. although I did notice the TV ran a little hotter than it used to.

May 3rd 2009, My TV shut down once again... my two year extended warranty expired on April 26, 2009! So now I have to purchase the replacement parts, and fix myself... (I repair electronics all the time, but unsure of my soldering skills)

this is where I ask the forum for assistance. As I am going to be fixing the issue myself, I want to nip this one in the bud. I know I need to replace the bulb... and after a little research I think I may need to replace the bulb fan, but should I go the extra mile and replace the ballast and color wheel? I am hoping this is not a MB issue as now the expense of fixing the TV is almost the price of buying a nice LCD... NOT MADE BY SAMSUNG!!!!! any site that you guys can send me to purchase the parts at cost would be nice as well.

Thank you

Tyler

Kelly
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Re: My New issue Is your Old fixed issue.... I hope

Postby Kelly » Wed May 06, 2009 9:41 pm

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Wed May 06, 2009 9:42 pm

Hi TiE2000,

First of all we need to find out which part is malfunctioning. What I recommend you to do before anything is to clean the fans and air vents, if your TV was running hotter than normally it might be because of the dust clogging the ventilation. Most of the time the parts malfunction due to overheating.

Once you finished removing dust from inside your TV try to turn it ON, if it doesn't work get back and post your symptoms. We'll be glad of helping you.

About the site for buying new parts, I recommend you discount-merchant.com (just click the banner located on the top of this page). My recommendation is buying a Philips bulb, so it will last more than 4 months...

Hope this helps. ;)
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

TiE2000
Contributor
Contributor

Postby TiE2000 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:59 pm

Thank you! I will take the TV apart tonight and clean it and test it. I also will be on the phone with a samsung tech, I through a pretty big fit about the TV, and Samsung said they may help absorb some of the cost. So I will let you all know in the morning.

TiE2000
Contributor
Contributor

Postby TiE2000 » Thu May 07, 2009 3:04 pm

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Thu May 07, 2009 3:30 pm

I recommend you to try a Philips bulb, some other brands fabricate very defective bulbs that last no longer than 6 months. Also check lamp wattage and ballast wattage to insure that they are the same.

HTH.
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

Return to “Samsung Discussion”