Grinding noise but picture is fine??

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Scott
Contributor
Contributor

Grinding noise but picture is fine??

Postby Scott » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:04 pm

I have a 50" samsung DLP. model # HTL5076SX. Its about 4 yrs old and is working fine except for this annoying grinding sound. Every so often it will stop but only for a minute or two. Picture takes a few moments to warm up when I first turn the set on. From the research ive done through these forums, i want to say color wheel but i have a picture like i said. Is everything getting ready to crap out at once?? please help!! :? A point in the right direction would be greatly appreciate.

Thank in advance!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Grinding noise but picture is fine??

Postby grayfox » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:38 pm

Hello!
and YES!!! this is most likely a colorwheel about to hit the wall at top speed! or maybe just a fan... but if it is shutting down your TV or taking a while to sync up and boot, then I would replace the colorwheel because the bearing could be about to give out.
hope this helps
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Scott
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Scott » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:37 pm

Thanks for the reply gray. Ive more research and as you can imagine, trying to describe a noise or even hoping youll find someone describing the same noise over the internet is near impossible! haha. On that note, the tv IS NOT shutting off on its own. Its just the noise. Its steady and getting louder. Its NOT just at start up or at shut down. SO, im leaning toward replacing the fan (cheapest part first). Maybe you can help with a DIY guide?? The issue with the picture taking a while to warm up, im suspecting it might be a tired lamp? If so, i think i should just replace that too while i have the tv apart?? If it is a bad color wheel, the tv would not work at all or the picture would be messed up correct?? Again, Thanks!! :D

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:53 pm

Yes and no, maybe! the colorwheel situation is a funny one. it can give you color distortion, but it does not have to. The sound of a dying colorwheel i would describe as a whirling, grinding, ball bearing ring...
if you open up your tv and put a trip in the switch (its usually blue and is there so you cannot turn on the tv with the back cover off) you can see if it is actually a fan. ;)
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Scott
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Scott » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:46 am

Just finished tearin it apart. I just had to man up! Haha. Its alot easier than it looks! Its the small cooling fan. Cleaned it all out but still making the noise so i ordered a new one. 3 to 10 days youll get another update! Thanks again grey!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:38 pm

lol I know the feeling! :lol: and yes it is overwhelming at first, then you find it is too easy... :roll:

keep us posted! :mrgreen:

jbsig262

Postby jbsig262 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:25 pm

What was the result of your troubleshooting? I have a very similar issue. I've already replaced the small fan (easiest to get to) and just now pulled out the bigger one behind the lamp. I'm debating replacing the color wheel while I'm at it.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:35 pm

I hope it was solved :D and that's the reason he has not yet posted again :lol:

Return to “Samsung Discussion”