HLM507WX 3 Lights and shuts down

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
vehder
Contributor
Contributor

HLM507WX 3 Lights and shuts down

Postby vehder » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:43 pm

I have a HLM507wx/xa 50inch dlp. Bought in 2002. In 2004 color wheel and lamp replaced by authorized samsung technician.
A couple months ago Tv started turning making a slightly louder noise when starting up. Not the same screetching and buzzing it made before the color wheel went bad, but what sounds like maybe the fan or color wheel working harder. A few days later the TV screen went black and the three lights began to flash. I can't get it to turn back on without first unplugging it. Sometimes after the unplug it works for 5 minutes other times it works for several days. Manual said it was time to replace bulb. I made sure to purchase the same original toshiba series lamp that was inside and replaced it. TV still randomly shuts down gives me the 3 flashing lights. I've reset the lamp counter, vacuumed the inside of the cabinet and blew away all the dust, and re-taped the safety switch (it was still taped up from the service call back in '04) But It still does not function properly.
The picture looks fine when it turns on, in fact there is no noticeable difference between the old and new bulb. There are no clicking, popping or other strange noises beyond the slightly louder whirling noise. And I've discovered that even it it shuts down after 5 minutes, I can unplug it and immediately plug it in again and it may work for another couple days.

Any ideas or any other things I can check before randomly buying more parts?

Jake
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: HLM507WX 3 Lights and shuts down

Postby Jake » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:43 pm

if you are hearing this buzzing/whirling sound.

Thats a problem with your color wheel. :D

you need to replace it.
[color=#FF0000]Jakey![/color]

vehder
Contributor
Contributor

Postby vehder » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:13 pm

This is what I thought it could be however my color wheel went bad before and this is not the same noise. Also when it does work, the picture is fine. If the color wheel was bad shouldn't the image be affected?

Jake
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Jake » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:02 pm

when you are having problems with colors and stuff like that and the problem is the color wheel...thats because the "disc" could be broken, decolorizing or maybe its cracked.

when its buzzing constantly is a problem with the bearing of the color wheel. in other words...the color wheel its not spinning correctly...

If is a intermittent buzzing, like buzzzz 1 2 3 buzzzzz 1 2 3 buzzzzz....
thats your ballast
[color=#FF0000]Jakey![/color]

vehder
Contributor
Contributor

Postby vehder » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:12 pm

Is there any way to make sure it is the color wheel as opposed to a transformer? That's what Samsungs FAQs site blames humming and buzzing on (flybacks not Autobots)....

"The buzzing, hissing, or high-pitched sound you hear coming from your Projection TV is most likely caused by the one of the high voltage (flyback) transformers in the set. These transformers convert the relatively low voltage electricity that comes from the outlet in your home to the high voltage electricity needed to drive the cathode ray tubes in your TV."

Return to “Samsung Discussion”