Samsung Lamp issues

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
tmorganelli
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung Lamp issues

Postby tmorganelli » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:37 am

Having a hard time deciding which part to buy next the ballast or the colorwheel. Have a samsung dlp about 2 1/2 – 3 years old. TV popped, shut down with 3 blinking lights, people that were there said they also smelled a slight burning odor. So of course we ordered and replaced the lamp. Still doesnt work, heres what happens – tv turns on tries to power up (sometimes does sometimes doesnt sometimes takes longer than other times) a little bit of whizzing noise that goes away, picture comes in and within 30 seconds goes out sometimes it just shuts down and 3 lights flash other times picture goes out and audio is still there for a few seconds longer before it shuts down and the lights begin to flash…..Any suggestions……..Really dont want to order unnecessary replacement parts as it seems I already did for the lamp itself and samsung customer service was absolutely positively not helpful at all. Desparate for a clue as to what we should do next colorwheel? Ballast? Power Supply? HELP!

Reason I have to ask is because as I was reading and reading about this problem everywhere, obviously it is very common with these tvs, I originally thought – OK – Ballast – But after reading everything here I am wondering if it is something else because the TV comes on and Picture comes on – granted for a few seconds but it does and then the tv shuts down – what is making it shut down??? Felt I should explain more…….Should I look at something further inside the tv to see if it may indicate which direction to take……?

Forgot to mention in order for it to shut off u have to unplug it cause once u turn it on it will keep trying to restart itself……Its like something wont keep the lamp light - I see it come on and then it shuts off - There is no clicking noise though aside from its one time upon start up and I dont hear any whizzing anymore.....

Jake
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: Samsung Lamp issues

Postby Jake » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:15 pm

mmmhmmm...

When you turn your TV on, it turns on and then it shuts down???
If this happens...like a cycle, i.e;

you turn on your TV, it turns on...then after 15-20 sec it turns off. The 3 lights from the panel flashes 3-4 times and it turns on again, if it does the same thing like before like 3-4 times.... and then it shuts down and wont start up again until you unplugged the cord.

That's a problem with the color wheel.

---Now,

If you turn on your TV and it doesn't do the cycle...it just turns off and tats it...
that will be the ballast.

my recommendation is to always follow the path. LAMP-BALLAST-COLOR WHEEL-DMD BOARD-POWER SUPPLY.

If i was in your place i would change the ballast, but check the instructions from above.
[color=#FF0000]Jakey![/color]

Return to “Samsung Discussion”