HLN567WX/XAC - Will not turn on

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
ghost

HLN567WX/XAC - Will not turn on

Postby ghost » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi guys,

I've been reading some threads here to see if I can fix my problem but I'm still confused. Here is the situation:

Model: HLN567WX/XAC
Bought in May 2004 - used very frequently.

The initial problem:
I was watching a dvd via component and got amost diagonal black and greenish lines across the entire screen

The troubleshooting:
TV menu was displayed properly infront of the green lines, so I changed to other inputs
Other inputs were working fine (TV via DVI and xbox via component)
So I figured i would restart the TV but I couldn't turn it off.
Had to unplug and start again

Started up fine but about 10 mins later got the same problem - connected the DVD to another component input - same problem. I figured its either the cables or the DVD player.

Put the DVD into the xbox - got same green lines for the DVD BUT xbox menus etc were displayed fine.
This should mean its a problem with the DVD right? So I tried another DVD, same problems again.
I gave up on the DVDs and watched another movie on my pvr(tv) via DVI - no problems with video except the TV wouldn't turn off at the end. I had to unplug it.

The new problem:
The next day TV will not turn on at all. No sound at all either (no chime, no spinning sound, no clicking, no flashing lights, etc)

New troubleshooting:
Unplugging/replug into different outlets makes no difference. Tried two different remotes (incl the original TV remote).
Of the three lights on the front (Timer, Lamp and Temp) only the Timer light flashes when I use the remote to try to turn on the TV (one flash per press of the power button)

Throughout the entire time, the power button on the side of the TV itself would not turn the TV on or off. Also, no lights on the front were flashing at anytime except as noted above.

On this thread ( viewtopic.php?f=10&t=306 ) it says, for a "HL-5065W", "The lamp timer begins shutting down the TV when it reaches 6000 hours." I've my TV for just over 5 years. That works our to only 100 hours per month, which I know have greatly exceeded. I can't check the actual hours becasue the TV wont turn on anymore. I didn't notice any dimming of the lamp prior to the problem.

I called Samsung, and they just referred me to another local repair company.
I explained the problem to the repair guy and he immediately said it was the lamp based on my info. $60 service call + $50 labour + cost of lamp about $130 (according to Samsung.ca)

But after doing some research on this site, I'm not sure the lamp is the problem. If it is, I can change it myself and save about $110.

Do you guys also think it is the lamp? Even if there are no flashing lights on the front and I can't hear any spinning or clicking?
Should I change the lamp anyway because it will probably go soon if its not the problem right now?

Thanks for any help.

Jake
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: HLN567WX/XAC - Will not turn on

Postby Jake » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:15 am

For what i was reading the problem that you're having it might be in the analog video board.

I was actually talking with a friend about this, ok the thing with the XBOX menu, When you display a menu on the screen basically it requires something around 32px to create that. When you put a movie or video game it will require more px on the image.

You're having a problem with one of the capacitors in your analog video board, basically when is "asking" for more px the capacitors are letting trough more "noise" creating the green lines in your picture.
[color=#FF0000]Jakey![/color]

ghost

Re: HLN567WX/XAC - Will not turn on

Postby ghost » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:47 pm

Hi Jake, thanks for your reply.

Looks like I will have to bite the bullet and call the repair guy.

Thanks again.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”