When Replacing Expensive Parts Don't Fix Dead Set

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
oldtech
Contributor
Contributor

When Replacing Expensive Parts Don't Fix Dead Set

Postby oldtech » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:20 pm

If you've experienced the frustration of replacing expensive TV parts such as a DLP Lamp, ballast, power assembly board and verified that the color wheel is spinning freely with no apparent bearing noise, i.e. "screaming like a banshee" as one poster described, continue reading.

I did all of the above before I got smart and ordered a service manual for my set that answered more questions than I would haved asked to begin with. The cost was a pitance compared to the cost of replacing already good working parts. The service manual will offer you simple as well as complex answers to many set malfunctions. Simple such as flow diagrams that help in isolating a defective component, complex in providing voltage measurments and a host of other information that a service man relies upon.

In my case, a defective color wheel was the source of my "dead set," a set where the lamp wouldn't ignite and I had no sound, not to mention getting the three "Light Emitting Death" (LEDs). The wheel was intact and spinning freely, however, the set emitted a cycling, low frequency, pulsating "chirp" for want of a better description. No posts nor for a "small fee" expert could explain it. In reality, a TV set should be noise free when operating, i.e. no fan noise, no color wheel noise of ANY KIND that says in effect, to the internal set sensors, "I don't feel well," which in turns shuts the set down. It's designed to for self-protection.

Had I purchased the service manu to start with for a mere $28, I would have saved myself $345 in replacing unneeded parts. Sevice manuals are available from a variety of sources. I got mine from www.samsungparts.com, which I assume sells only Samsung parts. Check with your set manurfacturer to find yours.

On a parting note, "A little information can be dangerous." In the case of set troubleshooting, more is better. I should have known better from past experience.

Jake
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: When Replacing Expensive Parts Don't Fix Dead Set

Postby Jake » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:23 pm

Indeed, Service Manuals are very very helpful. The thing is that a lot of people dont like to spend 28-30 dollars on just a mere booklet.

Whats a Service Manual???

Service Manual (SM)

This service information manual consists of information necessary to maintain a product in good working order.

This includes, but is not limited to:

* Safety information
* Installation and start-up procedures
* Scheduled maintenance requirements
* Troubleshooting information
* Minor repair procedures

Minor repair procedures include repair and maintenance activities that can be performed on a product without violating the warranty.

Thanx for the Tip oldtech.
[color=#FF0000]Jakey![/color]

Return to “Samsung Discussion”