DLP HLT5076SX won't turn on

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
FredK
Contributor
Contributor

DLP HLT5076SX won't turn on

Postby FredK » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:10 am

I have Samsung DLP HLT5076SX. It is 18 months old. Over the last week, when we turn on the TV we get the chime and then the left (red lamp) of the 3 front LED's blinks, which in the manual means "Check the ventilation hole on the side...temperature too high...power will shut off." The screen is blank. The side vent hole is not blocked and this will occur when the TV has been off for some time (so it is quite cool). On close examination there is a "click" when turning on the TV, and the projector lamp comes on for a few seconds before turning off. Periodically, when we unplug and replug the TV, we might wait 20 minutes or so and then the temp light becomes steady red. At that point, occasionally, turning the TV on actually works. This pleasant surprise happens less and less frequently the last day or so. I plan to call for service -- is there something I should try first?

Thanks.

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Re: DLP HLT5076SX won't turn on

Postby ovadoggvo » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:26 am

FredK,
Check to see if your fans turn on. There should be a fan right by the lamp door that cools the lamp. A fan failure can cause the TV to give you an overheating error. Fan #2 tends to be the most common to fail as it is closest to the lamp and the heat generated by the lamp.

18months? What is your lamp code on the TV? I'm wondering if it's one of the HLT series that originally came with an OSRAM brand lamp. Those may fail within 18 months. Philips generally lasts 2-3 years. Your lamp could be the issue as well if you have not replaced it recently.

Again, I recommend discount-merchant.com and I strongly suggest Philips brand replacement. Either way, you will need a lamp in the life of your TV. If it doesn't resolve your issue, and least you are set for another 2 years.

Let us know what happens.

FredK
Contributor
Contributor

Postby FredK » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:56 pm

Thanks. It may well be that the fan is intermittently not working. I don't remember hearing it running early last night when the TV would not come on and displayed the blinking temp sensor light. I'd be a bit surprised if it is the lamp -- the TV did start up again (like "magic" -- it's very weird) later last night and the picture looked bright and crisp (also, at least one fan worked at that time). We left it on all night and today; the fan is still working and the lamp is still going strong.

I had read (somewhere online over the last week) that it possibly could be temperature sensor. Do they fail frequently? And, approximately what would one cost if it did fail? I am not that skilled at repair so I am having a repairman come out Monday; I just like being a bit more informed so I can communicate better with him...

Regards,
Fred

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:37 am

Fred,
Can you tell me your lamp code? Your TV may have originally come with a 150W OSRAM bulb if it was a Costco model. Some costco models come with OSRAM lamps in order to keep production costs to a minimum. Unfortunately the OSRAM lamps last no longer than 12-16 months. It may just be a lamp issue. Temperature sensors are very rarely faulty. They may go bad but they tend to last at least 3-4 years. Again, it's hard to diagnose the TV with an 18 month old lamp, no matter what brand it is. I'm sure the repair man will tell you the same thing. I would recommend removing your lamp and actually Physically checking to see if it looks worn out or warped.

He will tell you that "it's just your lamp" to start with, then if it doesn't fix the problem, and $80-$120 later (after his first service charge) he will start to open your TV and test for other faults.

Eddie

Postby Eddie » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:34 pm

--

Eddie

FredK
Contributor
Contributor

Postby FredK » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:12 pm

FredK
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like it was the temp sensor

Postby FredK » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:13 pm

Service guy came out -- we tried a new lamp which did not fix it. He checked the temp sensor and that looks to be the problem. He's got to put a new one in (on order) so we won't know for sure until it goes in.

I'll report back (assuming it is the sensor) so you can add this outcome to your diagnostic "tool kit" if others ask for help with the specific symptoms I surfaced. As Ovadoggvo predicted, the repairman's first statement was "it's your lamp." It was interesting to see his reaction when it turned out not to be the case... :!: :?: :!:

Eddie

Re: Looks like it was the temp sensor

Postby Eddie » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:43 pm

--

Eddie

ASNLovin23

Postby ASNLovin23 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:20 pm

What's the temp sensor? I wanna know!

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:52 pm

The temperature sensor is responsible for checking the temperature within your TV. If the sensor detects a temperature above the norm for your TV, it will cause your TV to go into protect or standby mode. The temperature sensor looks like this:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/We-pro ... amsung.htm

FredK
Contributor
Contributor

Postby FredK » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:39 pm

It was the temp sensor and now it works fine. But, I wish I had just tried it myself. $19.99!?! I paid a lot more than that for the sensor and maybe a total of 2 hours labor for diagnostics, remove and replace with new one. To be fair, this took two house calls.

Oh well.....

Another question -- we have a small Vizio HD set up and it automatically adjusts the aspect ratio for the incoming picture. But, the Samsung does not so we have to manually adjust the aspect ratio when we switch between regular and HD channels. Is that normal for a Samsung? It is annoying but not the worst thing in the world.

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:06 pm

FredK,
I'm glad we could help you solve your problem! How much did you end up paying? As I said before, D-M is a life saver for situations like this. Some repairs are so expensive that make the TV disposable. D-M's prices make it worth while to do the repairs rather than trash the set.

As for your automatic Aspect adjustment. Your HLT samsung may have an option for that in the menu. If not, look in the service menu by pressing Mute, 1, 8, 2, power to turn on your TV. This will send you to the service menu when the TV turns on. There may be an option to enable auto aspect adjustment there.

I don't recall the options on the HLT series sets becuase I have not memorized their options like some of the older units that come in for repair.

Let us know how it goes.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”