Samsung HLR5667WAX/XAA Kepts Turning Off, Noises

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
jephph
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung HLR5667WAX/XAA Kepts Turning Off, Noises

Postby jephph » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:12 pm

So my 3 year old Samsung DLP has been turning off randomly for the past couple of months. I assumed it was some sort of overheating. This last time it turned off, then wouldn't turn back on. When I tried to turn it back on, it would make a sort of buzzing noise like it's trying to start up, then it would slow down, then try starting up again, then slow down, etc. for about 5 minutes.

Actually, I just tried it again, and it started up. I'm sure it will happen again soon though. I just am not sure what the problem is. Yup, just went off again. Would a bad color wheel make it turn off randomly? If it's the lamp, I figured if the lamp went, it would make a popping noise and just never turn back on. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

jephph
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Samsung HLR5667WAX/XAA Kepts Turning Off, Noises

Postby jephph » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Now, once it turns off, it'll flash "Lamp", and "Standby/Temp".

jephph
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jephph » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:12 pm

"When it turns off, it'll flash "Lamp", and "Standby/Temp"."

Forget that part.. That was just because I had the back panel off to clean it and the lamp switch wasn't pressed down, lol.

jephph
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jephph » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:14 pm

Ok, now, when I turn it on, it will stay on for a few minutes, then lose the picture, the lose the sound a few seconds later, then the TV will turn off completely.

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Samsung HLR5667WAX/XAA Kepts Turning Off, Nois

Postby Angel » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:58 pm

Did you try vacuuming all the dust from the inside? Try also putting a fan behind the TV, maybe it's just an overheating issue and since this is the cheaper solution lets try this first.

If this doesn't solve the problem there are 3 options:

1. Ballast.
2. Color wheel.
3. Powe supply (not very common).

You can discard the color wheel by checking it physically, if you don't know how check this replacement guide: .

Hope this helps.
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

jephph
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jephph » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:59 am

Yup, I cleaned out the dust. I tried a fan. Now what's happening is this: When I press the power button, the lamp no longer turns on. I just hear a whizzing noise like a fan starting up, then after a few seconds, a sound like it's shutting down (kinda like a circular saw), then it will try starting up again, then shut down again. It will do that about 5 times, then there will be two clicks, and it will start the same process over again. It will run through that process about 5 times as well (whizzing start up, shut down sound like circular saw, whizzing again, shut down again, etc) until it finally just gives up.

The noise isn't from the fan that you can see when you take the back panel off. I stopped that to make sure it wasn't it. It sounds like it's coming from behind that.

BTW, that's a nice guide, but it doesn't say anything about how to tell if it's a bad color wheel, it just shows pictures of the steps to replace it.

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:12 pm

jephph
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jephph » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:09 am

OK, I've just uploaded a video to YouTube. Here's the link:

The vid doesn't show a whole lot, but I just made it so you could hear the noises it's making. I stop the fan part way through the vid just to show that the fan's not making the noise. And when the video pans to the right, I'm just showing where the clicking noise is coming from. If you could take a listen to the vid, maybe it will help to diagnose the problem better. Thank you. Oh, if the vid doesn't come up for any reason, or if I can't link to YouTube, I tagged the video with my username- Jephph, as well as Samsung, HLR5667WAX/XAA, Noises, Broken, TV, Bad. So you can probably just search those on YouTube. Thanks.

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:47 pm

I've just seen the video and it seems like a defective color wheel for me.

Great video BTW...

Return to “Samsung Discussion”