parkerlewis
Contributor
Contributor

Damn Samsung won't turn on + wierd buzzing noise

Postby parkerlewis » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:18 pm

i'm pissed. I may have wasted money on a new lamp

model number: HLR4667W

bought it back in Oct 2005.

Now heres the deal, TV became hazy blurry with purple hues as soon as a loud buzzing sound started coming from the back. The buzzing noise is violent and loud, sounds like a pair of trimmers or clippers going to work back there. I turn the tv off and i power the tv back on but this time I don't get any video or audio but I still get the hellacious buzzing noise. I figure it had something to do with the lamp, because I replaced one back in 2007 and it worked fine. Figured it was the same issue so I purchase a new lamp, installed the damn thing today and I still get the buzzing noise with no audio or video, and to turn it off, I have to unplug it. I can't turn it off any other way.

I want to know if anyone with the same model as I do has experienced the same problem and if they resolved the issue.

Could be the color wheel, could be the fan, I want to know what it is.

Everytime I power up the tv, it sounds and feels like there's a bomb in there ready to explode because the buzzing/grinding is so violent (the back cover to the dlp set actually vibrates). And I'm pissed off that I wasted money on a new lamp when it could have gone towards the right part.

Damn you samsung.

BIG
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Damn Samsung won't turn on + wierd buzzing noise

Postby BIG » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:00 pm

I am also getting the weird buzzing noise. The volume of the buzzing does vary from soft to very loud. My DLP is over 6 years old and I have not replaced anything on it including the lamp. It is a HLN437W. I was going to just buy a new lamp, but after reading the above post, I think I will wait for a reply. BTW, my picture is working just fine.

BIG
Contributor
Contributor

Postby BIG » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:20 pm

I removed the back cover and tested the 2 fans in the back and the sound is not coming from either of them. From what I have read, it is either my color wheel or my lamp. According to the menu, my lamp has 11141 hours. THe picture is beautiful and my lamp light is not on. I was hoping for some help before I just start buying parts for this monitor.

parkerlewis
Contributor
Contributor

Postby parkerlewis » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:07 pm

after doing more research, i'm fairly certain it's the color wheel too. I'm surprised that you haven't needed to change your lamp in over 3 years. I've already installed a new one back in 2007 and it seems as though the lamp i just recently threw out was still good as new.

instead of getting a service tech over here to fix my tv, which i am going to guess will cost close to or over 400 bucks, i might as well buy a color wheel and install it myself. You can get a nice 1080p hdtv nowadays for under 1000 dollars, so spending 400 to fix this tv, is out of the question.

you would think there would be tons of people out there who have had this problem and resolved it, that's why i posted on here...but i guess not.

i never minded spending the 200 bucks to buy a new lamp every two years, that's something I knew about before I purchased a DLP set. but the color wheel issue blindsided me.

The next set I purchase will be either an LCD or a plasma -- with an extended warranty.

BIG
Contributor
Contributor

Postby BIG » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:28 pm

I will probably just end up buying the color wheel and the lamp since I don't really know which is causing the sound. The problem I am having with this is my picture is beautiful. It is just a loud noise that sounds like a circular saw that is driving me crazy. I don't even use the sound on Samsung. I pipe everything through the stereo.

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Damn Samsung won't turn on + wierd buzzing noi

Postby Angel » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:39 pm

The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

BIG
Contributor
Contributor

Postby BIG » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:59 pm

I just finished assembling my DLP and it works. The loud screeching noise is gone, so it was my color wheel. I want to thank the people here for all their help. Yes, it came from other threads, but this site did help me fix my DLP. I never want to do this type of repair again.

parkerlewis
Contributor
Contributor

Postby parkerlewis » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:58 am

hey BIG, congrats on the successful repair.

i'm about to purchase a color wheel online as well. I seriously hope it doesn't take all day to install. My main concern is installing the new color wheel and the t.v still not working.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”