Picture issue with Samsung HL-R4266W

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
norskbob
Contributor
Contributor

Picture issue with Samsung HL-R4266W

Postby norskbob » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:37 pm

My Samsung HL-R4266W is about 3 years old. It was used daily for about the first 2 years - now it's in the bedroom and used rarely. We just switched from cable to Dish Network satellite and this TV is the second on a dual TV box.

When I turn on the TV tuned to the Dish input, I get sound only. The lamp is on an there are no warning flashes on the power button. If I leave the TV on for a while it will get a picture for a short while but it's intermittent. I know the Dish signal is good since it works if I connect another TV to it. Also, if I switch to the air antenna I have for local channels, the picture works fine.

I tried removing/re-installing the lamp, and the TV worked on the Dish input a couple of times, but the next time I turned it on, it was back to no picture.

Is this likely a lamp issue or something else? I don't want to buy a new lamp if this isn't going to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

norskbob
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Picture issue with Samsung HL-R4266W

Postby norskbob » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:26 am

The lamp meter shows 6450 hours, so it most likely is the lamp, but if it's the lamp does it make sense that some inputs would work with no problem and others don't?

Thanks,
Bob

norskbob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby norskbob » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:46 pm

Here's some more info:
- The menu works
- I have rebooted the satellite box
- I have a DVD/VCR combo connected on the Comp1 and AV1 inputs, and there's sound only no picture on these inputs as well

Bob

norskbob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby norskbob » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:50 pm

We've basically not used the TV for a year now, but I'd like to get it fixed. Any ideas on this? I don't understand how it could be the bulb if the picture works perfectly with an antenna.

Thanks
Bob

rtech
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rtech » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:52 pm

I am no expert,now i try to fix my tv,i have one post on this forum but from what I have read on the web this failure seems the digital board,i have read if you reflow the chip the board comes back to work,also read if you put a support to pressure the chip the board working but need reflow to ensure a good job,i take this photos from other forum page

norskbob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby norskbob » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:41 pm

OK, I connected my Xbox 360 to the TV using HDMI, and that also worked fine. So basically the inputs with digital signals are working: air antenna input with digital antenna, and HDMI input with Xbox. I'm getting sound but no picture on all the analog inputs: AV1/2, Component1/2, and cable input connected as 2nd TV on my dish network box.

What could it be if the digital inputs are working but not the analog ones?

Thanks
Bob

norskbob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby norskbob » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:46 pm

One more bit of data: I tried using an S-video cable from the DVD to the TV, and I got some video for a little while. The video was rolling for a few seconds, then it had some green lines, and then it had a clear picture for a few seconds and then froze. When I switched away and then back to the S-video input, there was no video and it stayed that way.

Thanks
Bob

johnrot
TV Repair Jedi
TV Repair Jedi

Postby johnrot » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi norskbob

For the symptoms that you mentioned it seems that it is the Analog Video Board, or the Audio/ VIdeo Input/ output board i checked them, but if you want to replace this by yourself i recommend you to take out the board and get the part number of that board do not search or buy one by tv model number.

http://www.discount-merchant.com/Search ... =25&page=6

Hope this info. can help you.
[b][color=#BF00FF]WE ALWAYS LEARN SOMETHING NEW[/color][/b]

norskbob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby norskbob » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:00 pm

Thanks for the info johnrot. I just downloaded a copy of the service manual, and the overall block diagram shows that the HDMI and RF antenna inputs go directly to the digital board. All the other inputs go through the analog board. So it looks like the analog board is the most likely culprit.

So it appears that the TV2 signal coming from the Dish Network box is really analog since I get no picture on that when it's coming in on either the air or cable antenna inputs.

Thanks
Bob

norskbob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby norskbob » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:31 pm

UPDATE: I got the replacement analog board yesterday from DM, installed it, and everything worked for a little while, but after turning it off/on a few times, it's back to no picture at all on all analog inputs.

Any other ideas? I'm about ready to scrap the TV and replace it with an LCD.

Thanks
Bob

Return to “Samsung Discussion”