Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
nautilus11
Contributor
Contributor

HLS5086W - C drive repair, what is it?

Postby nautilus11 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:24 pm

hi,
My HLS5086W would shut off after 4-5 minutes and then get three blinking lights. While the picture is on, it is very clear, bright and perfect. Replaced lamp, but same thing continued. I was told to check ballast and color wheel on this forum. since i didnt want to keep buying parts and try it, i took it to a TV repair place and they told me that it needs repair C drive circuit and replace DM board. the estimate, a whopping $543. There is no way i can spend that on a 3 yr old TV.
I got the TV back but now i am noticing that there is a screeching sound when i start the TV and it does not come on at all.

Hate to throw away a $1600 TV in 3 yrs. The symptom are screeching sound and clicking. will changing color wheel a good try? and what is this C drive circuit repair?

Jake
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: HLS5086W - C drive repair, what is it?

Postby Jake » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:57 pm

Regarding the screeching noise I can say that I'm 80% sure that thats a problem with your color wheel.

Regarding the C drive circuit, i really don't have an idea of what it could be.
[color=#FF0000]Jakey![/color]

dqboy
Contributor
Contributor

Re: HLS5086W - C drive repair, what is it?

Postby dqboy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:22 pm

The screaching could be coming from a fan or a color wheel. Try this, shut off the TV and listen for the normal fan sounds (the fans do run after shut down but the color wheel stops). If the fans run a little while after you shut down and sound normal the color wheel is 99% the cause of the screeching. ***Caution after you replace a color wheel it can lead to more trouble. (see posting by dqboy)

Return to “Samsung Discussion”