Samsung HLR5078W Picture flickers after heat up

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
guardsman33
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung HLR5078W Picture flickers after heat up

Postby guardsman33 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:09 am

All in all TV has worked well. I checked and I'm up to 13,000+ hours one first lamp. I first saw problems a year ago with unit shutting off automatically. Then some picture solarization and eventually picture flickering. Knowing that heat is doom to electrical components I used wire to attach two 80mm computer fans to back of set. As long s the fans run, the unit runs fine. Until recently when even with the fans on the picture started flickering again.

Troubleshooting:
1.Inital click of ballast is heard so that seems good.
2.Bulb lights up so that seems good (but I'll replace anyway with 13,000+ hours on it.
3. I can see the DMD gan spins wo that seems good.
4. I' switched between HDMI and Component so its not that.

I'm thinking its the DMD board or more specifically the chip thats on the board because it only happens when the unit heats up. Before that .. PERFECT! So I don't think its the light engine or the color wheel.

Any thoughts or experience.

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Samsung HLR5078W Picture flickers after heat u

Postby Angel » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:57 am

What happens when you turn the TV off once the flickering has begun? Does the flickering disappear? if so, for how long?
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

guardsman33
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Samsung HLR5078W Picture flickers after heat up

Postby guardsman33 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:57 am

If the TV starts to flicker, that means its already overheated. You cannot power cycle the TV. It will start that whirring sound up and down like its trying to start but can't. The only solution is to unplug the TV and wait about an hour. After waiting, put the plug back in the wall outlet and it will restart normally.

BTW - the sound is always good. I need to do some more investigation.

1. need to ensure the lamp fan is operating.
2. need to check the seating of the DMD board chip.
3. need to see if the menu screens (which are internally generated) are affected by the flickering

guardsman33
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Samsung HLR5078W Picture flickers after heat up

Postby guardsman33 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:36 pm

More news on the investigation. The test patterns in the setup indicated the DMD board and the DLIne (?) work fine. All modes are good.

BUT !!! - I do see that the cooling fan for the lamo does not run when the set is forst turned on. I will continue to check it and see if the fan turnes on via the temperature sensor.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”