Samsung HL-S5065W Next Step in Troubleshooting

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
sick5065

Samsung HL-S5065W Next Step in Troubleshooting

Postby sick5065 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:56 pm

I stumbled across this forum as I continue scratching my head as to why my Samsung HL-S5065W DLP TV has intermittent shut off issues. Having spent some time on the web, I realize the issue is prevalent among the Samsung TV's, but I've yet to hear about a solution that matches my issues. I also searched this forum and the threads can get off track a little bit so, again, please bear with me while I lay out my specific issue in hopes that one of the knowledgeable members here may be able to provide some insight.

About 2 years ago the tv started shutting off intermittently. If was well out of warranty and seemed to operate fine when powered off and restarted. Over the next 18 months the issue began to happen more frequently until finally about 6 months ago it stopped turning back on. It would start to power up and the would shut down with the 3 flashing LED's on the front console.

I started trouble shooting the problem in this order:
1) checked the back door switch for proper alignment --> result: properly aligned and no change in symptoms
2) checked that the power cord was seated properly --> result: properly seated and no change in symptoms
3) ordered new lamp and replaced lamp --> result: new lamp did not change the symptoms
4) at the same time I ordered the lamp, I ordered a new color wheel because I could hear a problem with it --> result: new color wheel is not noisy anymore, but no change in shut off symptoms
5) inspected and cleaned fans to confirm function --> result: fans in good operating condition and no change in symptoms
6) called professional repair person to look at tv --> result: he confirmed that both of my lamps were good and also swapped in a good ballast with no change in symptoms so my lamp and ballast are good. He also visually inspected the power source and board and said that he didn't really see any issues there and suggested that the next step was replacing the light engine.

OK, I sent the repair man away thinking that the symptoms don't match a light engine issue :roll: . So that being said, what do I pursue next or is it time to just cut my losses? It seems like these things just can't be that complicated. I found a power source board for about $100 and intuitively this seems like it could be the issue, but is that the correct next step to take?

Disclaimer: I'm not a professional TV repairman nor do I play one on said TV, but I'm reasonably handy with a screwdriver -- in other words, I may be in way over my head on this

Thanks in advance!

Jake
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: Samsung HL-S5065W Next Step in Troubleshooting

Postby Jake » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:57 pm

hi there....

Well the only thing that you haven't change is the power supply... The path is

LAMP --> BALLAST --> COLOR WHEEL --> DMD --> POWER SUPPLY

Honestly I dont think the DMD is the problem and the only thing left like I said before is the power supply.
My opinion is, change the power supply...if this doesnt fix the problem....buy another TV.

PS: Don't get a Samsung DLP :D
[color=#FF0000]Jakey![/color]

sick5065

Re: Samsung HL-S5065W Next Step in Troubleshooting

Postby sick5065 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:57 am

Jake,

Just got back from a biz trip and saw your reply. Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot if I can find one reasonably priced -- otherwise it goes in the (trash, recycle, ???)...

Devin

Return to “Samsung Discussion”