DLP won't power up (Video of problem)

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
jojopotato

DLP won't power up (Video of problem)

Postby jojopotato » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:02 pm

Relevant video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSrAkJgDwqE (I did not create this vid, but it is the EXACT problem I have)

Television specs: Model of my television is HLR5067WAX/XAA. Serial number B10V3CKYA03675H. Chassis is labeled as L64C.

I purchased the television in Jan, 2006 and perhaps in May or so, I noticed a bit of a low whine coming from the set (which I later found out was the color wheel). I did not do anything about it until the set began to turn off on its own after maybe 1 hour or so. I could turn it back on, and it would shut off after 15 minutes or so, etc. At the time, I was still using the 01/2006 bulb and have no idea how many hours it had on it. I ordered a color wheel from Partstore.com after I researched what caused the audible whining. I installed it, tried to power it on and got nothing. I reread the online guide and found out I had installed the ribbon-wire backwards (not sure if this makes a difference in part failures). Then I plugged in the tv, it powered up and then there was a loud, but not deafening "POP" and I immediately unplugged it (you could definitely tell something happened that wasn't supposed to). I figured that the bulb had blown out, and I ordered a new one. When I installed the new bulb, I got the situation that is shown in the video at the top of this post.

If the video is unclear, basically what happens is that the tv starts to cycle as soon as you plug it into the wall. I can hear the color wheel start to whir, it sounds like it gets to max RPM for a second, nothing happens, so it stops spinning. It repeats the color wheel start up about 3 times, then it stops and the red "TEMP" light comes on. The light never comes on or anything. I hear one audible "click" (is that the ballast??) right at the end of a cycle. I imagine that if didn't unplug it it would cycle forever or until something else broke.

I have read some of the other posts on this site, and I am still confused. People say if you hear the clicking (which I believe is what I hear right at the end......) that the ballast is broken because the voltage is off? Basically, I was just hoping for a little reassurance that people think this is fixable. I have already spent over $200 on a color wheel / lamp combo with zero to show for it, and an entire new tv isn't too much more. My father, who used to be a tv repairman asked one of his friends who is still in the business and he said he had seen the problem before and it was probably the light engine. Just looking at prices for those ($800+??) makes me just want to wait for Black Friday....

Any advice is appreciated.

Jake
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: DLP won't power up (Video of problem)

Postby Jake » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:34 pm

Hey whats up, I just saw the video.

For what you're explaining, that you change the color wheel, replace the lamp...and now is giving you this problem; you need to replace the ballast.

Laters...
[color=#FF0000]Jakey![/color]

jojopotato

Re: DLP won't power up (Video of problem)

Postby jojopotato » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:49 am

Replaced the ballast, same exact thing. Wish I wouldn't have wasted my time.

It is probably 98% the light engine, which means the whole thing is just a 3 year old, $2000 piece of junk.

Return to “Samsung Discussion”