DLP picture

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
rickhuyser

DLP picture

Postby rickhuyser » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:48 pm

I have a Samsung HLR5067 DLP tv. My first problem is that when I turn the TV on, I get a green checker board pattern. I may have to unplug the TV several times to clear. With the green checkerboard pattern, the PIP still comes in clear. The new problem is that the picture is upside down and I do not feel like standing on my head to watch tV. What is wrong?

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DLP picture

Postby Angel » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:26 pm

Does the checkerboard pattern appear over the menu?

1. In Standby mode, press Mute + 1 + 8 + 2 + Power to enter service mode.

2. Select the DDP1011, then TEST PATTERN, then press the right arrow key on remote to scan through some test patterns.

3. Repeat the same steps with the DNIe option.

If the problem only appears with the DNIe then is the digital board, if the problem appears with both DDP1011 and DNIe then it's most probably the DMD board.

Hope this helps.
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

cgevans44

Postby cgevans44 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:18 am

Hey TV repair Ninja, I am commenting off of your suggestion stated below. I have a 42" DLP Samsung, model # HLR4266WXIXAA. I ran the checks both in the DDP1011 and DNIe. All the colors looked fine but when I few my HD channels I am getting green tints... Starting out as shadows in faces and then lines across the screen. Every once and a while A red line will come but very seldom. Would you be still suggesting the digital board or is there something I am missing? Thanks for you help!!

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:01 pm

this green plaid issue is the digital board. have seen this many times. the chip on the board that says dnie needs the solder reflowed. ebay item number http://cgi.ebay.com/Samsung-BP96-02168A ... 27ad9257d4

the hlr5067w is known for this issue. so is the hlr4667w, hlr5667w, hlr6167w models

ilo313
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ilo313 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:41 am

hey tv repair ninja.im having a similar problem as rick..i have colors fading in and out..i did both test's that youve recommended and you can clearly see the color fading in and out..ive replaced my lamp and color wheel in this t.v already..samsung 50in hls5086w dlp..do you have any suggestions.plz email me at ilonahazamy@yahoo.com

cklk1212
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cklk1212 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:55 am

Hey-
Our TV HLR 5067 is about 4 years old. No problems until yesterday (never replaced anything). When turned on it had 2 inch horizontal lines flashing all over the screen. After turning it off it would not restart. I unplugged it and let it sit for the day. I eventually got it to start but after a few minutes it would turn off. I read though some of the postings on this site, took the back off and cleaned it (YUK). Now we are getting the green plaid picture. I went to the service menu and tried both the DDP1011 & DNIe tests and they look fine. What do I try next? I don't want to start ordering parts and taking stuff out of the TV unless I have some idea what is going on, right now I am clueless. Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:55 pm

That sounds like the DMD or the digital board. Try to bring up the Menu with the remote, if you can see the tv menu perfectly then it’s the digital board, otherwise it’s the video board.
Knowledge is the one true power

cklk1212
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cklk1212 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:35 pm

The menu screen does come up perfectly in front of the green plaid screen. Is the digital board the one that can sometimes need to be resoldered? I have read that getting a new one is expensive, if you can even find one.

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:46 am

green plaid is the digital board. common issue with teh hlr5067w. if you hit your menu button you will see the green plaid doesn't show up in menus. and yes the digital board is the one that sometimes need the solder reflowed on the dnie chip.

cklk1212
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cklk1212 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:50 pm

If we would like the digital board reflowed or replaced how do we get it out of tv? Is this something we can do ourselves? This is driving us crazy!!!

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:18 pm

Ok, let me explain from the top, the video board is divided in two. Analog & digital, if the menu shows up perfectly then it’s the digital board that’s sending erroneous signals to the DMD board, thus producing the green picture. You’ll have to replace it.
Here is a video so you can have an idea of where the digital board is located.
http://www.youtube.com/user/FixYourDLPc ... jr_9A5Xd2Q
Knowledge is the one true power

Xtech69

Postby Xtech69 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:20 am

Hi Guys:
Very similar problem as Rick, but the problem does not appear over the menu or PIP; green checkerboard pattern does not appear in either the DDP1011 or the DNie tests. Analog inputs all have the problem; strong channels have checkerboard, weaker channels have heavier plaid pattern. The TV turns off intermittently, but can be turned back on. HDMI input works fine and I am using this input with VCR/DVD player as tuner.

Same board??? Or is this an Analog Board problem???

I am a retired E Tech and can do the repair, if it is just soldering or replacing a component. I can't troubleshoot without prints and a little knowledge of the circuitry. I need you younger techs to help me out!

Thanks.

Tram
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Tram » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:30 pm

I am having the same issue, however, only on my cable source. When I choose my DVD player, it is working correctly.

On the Ant 1 selection, when I bring up the menu, the plaid pattern is overlaying the menu as well as the picture. This is the DMD isn't it?

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:07 pm

Hello Tram.
I think you are correct, when there is a problem on the tv and it also affects the TV menu that almost a guarantee that something is wrong with your DMD board. The reason is that the tv menu is controlled only by the DMD board, if it was a video problem or an external component issue it would not show up in the menu since its completely independent.
Here is a link to one of my post explaining about tv picture problems.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1321
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

Tram
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Tram » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:34 pm

Yeh, that's what I'm thinking..

Looks like it's time for a new TV... :roll:

nandousa

Postby nandousa » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi. I have a 67'' dlp samsung.
When I turn it on the picture is dark, then I go to brightness and get it up to 80...after a while the picture reset itself and goes back to dark again.
What do I have to do?

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Postby Jason1976 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:28 pm

Return to “Samsung Discussion”