Samsung HL-P5063W-No Sound only HDMI Picture

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
mlimtiaco
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung HL-P5063W-No Sound only HDMI Picture

Postby mlimtiaco » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:18 pm

I have a Samsung HL-P5063W which has worked flawlessly for about 5 years. 6 months ago the set would just shut off. I would wait 5 to 10 minutes and then it would come back on. Recently it shut off and when turning it back on it would take a couple of minutes and then turn on and display the input at the top left corner but not the input it was originally on. It will not recognize the AV or Component Inputs. It will recognize the COAX/Cable input option but when I connect the cable to this input still not picture. It recognized the HDMI input and I got picture but no sound; picture was in HD 1080i. Also the set recognizes the remote but it is really slow to react. Is it the Analog board?

Regards and thanks for the help

turcor

Re: Samsung HL-P5063W-No Sound only HDMI Picture

Postby turcor » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:44 am

When I had my HLP5063W apart to replace the color wheel, I noticed there is a sensor in the chassis frame just above where the lamp slides in. I'm not sure, but I suspect this is an overheat sensor. Maybe this sensor is shutting your TV off, then when it cools and resets, you are able to turn it back on. I'm new to this, but I have seen sensors like this in other appliances (microwave oven), and when they trip they don't just flip the switch off, they cut main power, as a fire safety. This might explain why the input resets to something different. The cause could be that the lamp itself is too hot (are you sure you replaced with the right part?), the cooling fan isn't working, a vent is blocked (maybe by dust - there was lots in mine), or the sensor itself is bad.

Again, fair warning, I'm new at this, but I am an electrical engineer... Hopefully my educated guess is close to the mark...

Good luck!!!

mlimtiaco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mlimtiaco » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:43 am

Turcor

Thanks for the assistance. I have not replaced any part yet. I was just thinking that if it does not recognize any of the av1, av2 or svideo 1 or 2 inputs that it would be the analog board but your guess is better than mine I am not an electrical engineer. From most of the post it appears that the lamp, the color wheel and the ballast are the culprits but my lamp lights up and I do get picture from the HDMI input. I can't figure out why there is no sound or why the remote is slow to react other than one of the control boards but not sure if it is the digitial or analor board. The power supply appears to be working since it powers up. The fan is working fine as well and there is not enough dust to cause a problem. No burning smell coming from the set either. I will check the sensor but will this effect the sound? Shouldn't I be hearing something even if there is no picture? What should I be looking for on the sensor?

Thank you in advance to you and anybody who helps.

Regards,

mlimtiaco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mlimtiaco » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:48 am

Hoping someone can help. Still have this unit in garage and figure I'll try and fix it. I think I am going to start with the analog board since no sound then proceed to DMB if no success
. Really just throwing darts at this point. Any suggestions?

darkart77
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby darkart77 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:54 pm

In these type of scenario the best advice I can think of is to make sure you get the parts from a reliable source that offers a warranty and some technical advice to guide you through it.
Perhaps discount-merchant.com, They are one of my vendors.

mlimtiaco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mlimtiaco » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:48 am

Ok good news. Put everything back together again (good thing i took pictures of connections) and hooked up two different inputs on analog board and two on digital board. Ran signal and cycled through sources. No analog sources registered, no sound no picture. HDMI source produced both sound and picture, DVI input produced picture but no sound, think this a video input only anyway. Going to test PC input and if it produces picture I am going to order analog board. Any thoughts?

darkart77
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby darkart77 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:11 pm

Spot on ;)

Return to “Samsung Discussion”