Samsung DLP - HDMI input works, but not other AV

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
sabatorious
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung DLP - HDMI input works, but not other AV

Postby sabatorious » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:26 pm

Recently acquired a 50' Samsung DLP (HLR5067wax/xaa) which distorts inputs other than HDMI (AV1, 2, 3, etc.). I have attached a picture below. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, as I would rather be certain what the problem is before I spend $$$ on costly parts in vain. Thanks.
Attachments
rps20110604_162017.jpg
rps20110604_162017.jpg (17.08 KiB) Viewed 8345 times

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Samsung DLP - HDMI input works, but not other AV

Postby grayfox » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:43 pm

hhmmm so the Digital HDMI signal if fine??? and the other analog inputs are like this???
This is almost certainly the Digital Video Board, its easy to replace and relatively inexpensive! (discount-merchant.com has them for around $40)
The problem lies when DLP technology projects Digital signal, if a signal is already digital then it goes straight to the DMD board for projecting, but if it is an Analog input it need to be "digitalized" and run through a Digital Video Board before it is sent to the DMD board for projecting, that is where i think your problem lies...
hope this helps... :mrgreen:
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

sabatorious
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sabatorious » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:16 am

Thanks, grayfox. That saves me from unnecessarily replacing the analog board if the solution is as you describe ... Will post update when I replace. Another question for you: While using HDMI, every half hour (can be longer or shorter) or so, the signal will drop and it acts like it the HDMI cable disconnects. It doesn't matter the source (computer, dvd, etc), it just goes black or green, but does not completely turn the TV off. I thought maybe it could be a lamp problem, but it seems to stay on, just loses the HDMI signal, reconnects, and is back in business within about three to four seconds or so. Any thoughts!? Thanks!!!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:16 pm

well if it heats up enough and it is already malfunctioning it can get to that point... it looks like its in a place where it gets adequate ventilation... how long has it been since you replaced the lamp?
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:16 pm

btw a lamp cannot cause this kind of distortion but it can blank out if it is weak ;)

sabatorious
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sabatorious » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Hmm. The lamp has not ever been replaced - I assumed it couldn't be the lamp since the unit did not completely shut off and take time to cool down, but maybe the lamp is the shut off problem. Thanks for your feedback!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:36 pm

Welcome!

I hope its clear that the lamp only emits white light, so you are correct the only hand it can have in your problem is the shutdown, the actual distortion on screen is caused by what we spoke, however it is around time you change the lamp! either way its bound to go out at any time! :(

Return to “Samsung Discussion”