Resetting the Samsung DLP Lamp Counter/Hour Meter

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
HaQKR81
Contributor
Contributor

Resetting the Samsung DLP Lamp Counter/Hour Meter

Postby HaQKR81 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:16 am

I just came across this and I thought I'd share it!!

Why don't we see if we can get everyone to reply with how many hours they got on their TVs! :idea: :lol: 8-) :D

This is a quick reference guide to show you how to reset your Samsung DLP TV’s lamp hour meter or hour counter. Resetting the counter is a very simple proceedure.

Begin with the TV powered off.

Point your remote towards your TV.

Press:

Mute + 1 + 8 + 2 + Power.

Your TV set should now say “Loading Factory”.

Browse down to “Option” then press Enter (or the right cursor button).

NOTE: The Mute+1+8+2 buttons needs to be pressed down consecutively and fairly quickly. If your TV does not enter the service menu after using this combination, you can subsitute MENU instead of MUTE. This seems to work for some sets. Also, the right cursor arrow also acts as the ENTER button, so try it if you’re having difficulty with the ENTER button.

To exit the service menu, hit press the EXIT button or just turn off your TV (remember not to turn on your TV immediately afterwards!).

jeffyb
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Resetting the Samsung DLP Lamp Counter/Hour Me

Postby jeffyb » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:03 am

haha i wish you were around a few months ago when i replaced my lamp. took me FOREVER to figure that out.

Marie
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Resetting the Samsung DLP Lamp Counter/Hour Meter

Postby Marie » Thu May 07, 2009 12:24 am

in addition
if "Mute + 1 + 8 + 2 + Power" doesn't work getting into this factory menu.

rather than "Mute" use the "Menu" + 1 + 8 + 2 + Power.

some set recognize this

alexander

Postby alexander » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:15 am

To reset the lamp hour meter on samsung dlp,first press mute+1+8+2+power/then option.
what's the next step? on my tv(hl-s4666w) when i press option i see lamp clear and lamp life 10538hour.
but i don't see lamp hour option.
thanks

vehder
Contributor
Contributor

Postby vehder » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:21 pm

can you run any other diagnostic troubleshooting from this screen?

bhchan
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bhchan » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:41 am

6664h on my hl-R5067w that has just started to 'go on the fritz'... unfortunately, instead of pressing 'exit/menu', I accidentally pressed 'left' (or maybe 'right') and cleared my lamp hours. :(

so, technically,i'm back at 0! :) (if only 'replacing the lamp' was -that- easy)

guardsman33
Contributor
Contributor

13,000+ hours

Postby guardsman33 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:12 am

:o
HLR5078W. I entered the menu and the lamp hours reads 13,660 hours. I think I"m pushing the limits of the original bulb.

kennyavery1

Postby kennyavery1 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:10 pm

I tried this but, it did not work. All i got was a flashing green light and red temp light. Now, I can't cut the TV back on.

bigbug

Postby bigbug » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:16 pm

Simple lamp questions - not trying to steal your post

HL-P5063W

After replacing a lamp does one have to reset the lamp hour counter before it will come on?
How does one get into the service menu if the lamp is not lighting?
I am aware of the MUTE 0r MENU -1 -8 -2 - POWER sequence.
Is there any way to take the output video signal to another TV to see the service menu if the Samsung screen is not lighting up?
There is a small plug in connector on the back left corner of the TV that says SERVICE. Does anybody know what it is for?

Thank you to all the people helping others .

Bernie

ZundapMan
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ZundapMan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:30 pm

Too bad I didn't find this thread sooner. I've just installed my third lamp on an HLR5688W. I've been getting about 2 years to 16 months on lamps. The second lamp wore out faster than the first, in part due to a chronic and unfixable defect. The DMD board on my set is not available and has not been so for at least a year. When the chronic failure occurs the right hand side of the screen blanks out and the set must be turned off and then turned back on to reset the picture. It rarely happens if you are content to watch SD signals, but the set is now only good for about an hour and 15 minutes of HD operation before the failure occcurs. After a first failure if the set is not allowed to cool all the way down, the second one comes more rapidly. The result is excessive stress on the lamp.
E. Daniel Ayres

Resist58
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby Resist58 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:36 am

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:30 pm

ZundapMan,
What's the model of your TV? I would check Discount-Merchant for the part.. The best way to search their part is by the model number or the model of a TV set that takes the same DMD board ;) ... Also, if you don't find DMD board, you may want to invest $250-$330 on the complete light engine from D-M's website. At that price you're getting a DMD, Light Tunnel, Color Wheel and optical block! You can even part their light engines out and make money off of it!

If you had posted your model number I would have been able to search for the part on there for you and post a link. Your other option is other reputable parts dealers such as SamsungParts or PartStore, but be prepared to pay double or tripple the $$$.

Let us know how it goes..

skunknuts

Postby skunknuts » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:49 pm

Thanks for this info/ forum. Ordered a new bulb+housing from DM on Friday, just installed it today (Monday). Everything is gravy, and the picture looks all shiny and new. Anyway, my main reason for posting was to report on how long the original bulb in our Samsung HL-5687W (purchased late fall of 2006)....drum-roll.....19,192hrs!!! It was pretty damn dusty back there too, lol. We are definitely apt to leave the TV on in the background, as opposed to restarting throughout the day....

Best,
Skunknuts

mymy

Postby mymy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:07 pm

Bought new lamp and it lasted 4 hours. No sounds or smells. Tried resetting counter but nothing comes up on the screen. It is all dark. Mute and menu 182 don't work. Help!

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Wed May 12, 2010 11:20 pm

Hello, Rick L.
Is the TV completely dead? Do you get blinking led’s on the front of your tv? Have you clean then inside of your TV? Did you close the lamp door before you tried turning it on?
Do you hear any strange noises coming from the back of the tv when you try to turn it on?
The more details you provide us, the better chance we’ll have on resolving the issue.
Keep us posted, good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

beechmontfarm2010

Postby beechmontfarm2010 » Sun May 23, 2010 11:53 pm

yikes, i did this and then my picture got worse. It never said loading factory, and I could never get to the options (no. 8)
turned tv off, tried again, same results, now picture is blinky. HELP.

chevelle69
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chevelle69 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:52 am

i have a hlt5675s model and i order a new bulb for it ,my question is do you really have to reset the bulb timer? if so how on this model this is my first time doing it ,thanks

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:22 pm

Hello chevelle69.
To be honest the original design for these Samsung TVs was that once you installed a new lamp, the software on the TV would reset the lamp timer automatically. Since this was never perfected the vast majority of the TVs you have to reset it manually. So normally when you install a new lamp, TV will check the amount of time on the lap timer & still think you have the old lamp, and will turn it off for security reasons. The instructions for resetting the lamp posted are the same for all Samsung DLP TVs.
Hope this helps you out.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

AT1984
Contributor
Contributor

Postby AT1984 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:33 pm

NightKid,

I posted another topic concerning my set (HLR 4667, I think, I'm at work, and don't have the model number written down) turning off by itself. When I replaced the lamp about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago, I don't think I reset the lamp counter. Could that be making it turn off by itself?

It turns off by itself, then I can turn it back on in a minute or two. No blinking lights, no unusual noises, no clicking, nothing. The picture is OK, but it is about due for a new lamp. It's getting a little dim. The brightness is set to 55, on the "dynamic" setting for the picture.

Other than that, no problems...

Thanks!

AT1984

littleb

Postby littleb » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:48 pm

I have just received my replacement lamp for my Samsung DLP TV HLM437W. My question is: Once I install the lamp, do I turn on the TV to check if the lamp works or do I rest the counter first? Are there any other things that I should be aware of before attempting anything? Thanks for your help!

littleb

Postby littleb » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:36 am

I just received a replacement lamp for my Samsung DLP TV Model HLM437WX. My question is: after replacing the lamp, do I turn the TV on to check to see if the lamp works or do I go in and reset the lamp counter first? Is there anything else that I should be aware of before I attempt this? Thanks for your help.

eddiegwatz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby eddiegwatz » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:06 am

I read about resetting, but is there a way i can check the current hours without resetting?

NoNeck

Postby NoNeck » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:57 am

I just replaced the original Osram bulb on my HLN617WX. Tv was bought new by me in 2003. Hours were 5113. Just wanted to pass on a little info I found when resetting the lamp meter. I tried to exit out of the menu with the center button on the factory remote. ( I guess it's a "Back" button.I never use the factory remote.) That took me into another screen that said Pos-Y, Pos-X, Lamp, Delay and some other stuff. Next to lamp it said Osr. I assumed this was for Osram, the original bulb mfg. I clicked that and the next selection was TOS/PHIL. I switched to that as my replacement bulb was Philips. The picture settings got noticeably different when switching back and forth between the 2 bulb Mfg. Obviously I left it on TOS/PHIL.

jrlaw10
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jrlaw10 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:43 pm

Hi everyone. First timer here, so thanks in advance. I have a Samsung HLS7178 DLP set. The TV suddenly began to shut off after being on briefly. I had the 3 front lights blinking so after researching I assumed I had a lamp problem (the set is 4 years old). I purchased a new lamp on line and was able to install it easily. After installation the set continued to shut down. Based on what I have read here I went into the factory service mode. As directed by other posts, after entering the factory service mode I went into the option menu. At the entry "lamp clear" I hit enter. I exited the service made and waited 5 minutes. This worked and now the TV works fine. Here's my questions (finally!): Next to the lamp clear option their is also a line item which says: "lamp life". It now reads 4785 hours. Is this a value that needs to be reset as well? I do not see any way to reset this! I believe this mean the set (4 years old) has been on and used for 4785 hours? I don't think it means that is how much time is left on the new bulb, but I am not sure! Should I reset or since everything is working fine do I just leave it alone? If I reset do I set it to "0". Thanks in advance!!!

jrlaw10
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jrlaw10 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:21 am

Mystery solved. It is important to note that the steps above are incomplete. What you need to do is enter the factory service menu. Go to options. Hit enter. Go to lamp clear. Hit enter. THEN hit the right arrow key so that the word "OK" comes up after lamp clear. Then go back one screen and you will see the lamp life has reset to zero. And then your TV will not shut off (like mine did todays ater I thought I had it solved!).

lynnv268

Postby lynnv268 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:04 pm

I just replaced the lamp in March and I am getting the three blinking lights again, TV will not power on....it just cycles through untill all three lights are blinking.. Is it still possible to get into the facotry settings and try to reset the lamp if the TV won't power on? :cry:

SrMerlyn
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby SrMerlyn » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:26 pm

lynnv268,

Does the TV cycle on three times before it shuts off? Do you hear a humming or whining noise. When the color wheel goes bad on Samsung TVs it's common for them cycle on three times before shutting off.

darock
Contributor
Contributor

Postby darock » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:47 am

I did the The factory reset on my samung hlp5063wx/xaa with an old
lamp that looked dimm. It looked great for about 5 minutes, then
POW the lamp exploded.

mahoganyman

Postby mahoganyman » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:06 pm

Replaced bulb in our Samsung HLR5067WAX/XAA Today.
The original bulb went out on Thursday, Replaced with OEM Samsung Today.
Original bulb had 14196 hours on it !!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:09 pm

That is a very good lifespan for a lamp, your TV must be very well ventilated ;)
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:08 pm

Wow! Must have been a Philips. I don't know any other manufacturer that can make a lamp that reliable. 14,000+ hours is amazing!

d3422
Contributor
Contributor

Postby d3422 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:40 am

what if you haven't a remote?? :oops:

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:18 pm

Hello d3422,

If you are looking to reset the lamp hour meter I am pretty sure you need a remote, try purchasing an original online, you can find them for around $20.. Remotes make life so much easier :lol:
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

frymail2005

Postby frymail2005 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:00 am

Hi all, hoping someone can give me a hand here.

I have a Samsung DLP HLR4266W.. Replaced the color wheel a couple months ago, everything worked great.. Last week, TV no longer would power up, realized the lamp wasn't turning on whatsoever, so oped to purchase a new lamp. Long story short, after installing the new lamp, im getting the wonderful turn on for two seconds, and the lamp turns off - at which all point the three lights turn on in front of the TV. The screen picture/lamp will turn on for no more then 2 seconds, then shut down automatically.

Long story short, my question is if someone can either #1, post screen shots as to the steps to reset the lamp counter - or #2, simply type out how many arrow strokes (up/down) to get through the process. In other words, the TV seems to stay powered long enough that I should be able to make it through the prompts to reset the lamp counter, but because the lamp will NOT stay on, I cannot see the screen to navigate.

I can get the TV to turn on to the service menu using Mute + 1 8 2, but once the lamp turns off, i obviously don't know where to go..(THough I believe the TV power is still on, so i can make i through the prompts blindly, is my hope.)

If someone can help me out soon, it would be extremely appreciated. I'm thinking if this isn't the problem, then ill need either a new DMD or a new ballast, which im not going to do.. I will just return the lamp, and buy a new TV.. With this amount of money in replacement parts, i would have been better off spending $400 at walmart for a new TV..

Any help is greatly appreciated!

d3422
Contributor
Contributor

Postby d3422 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:55 am

I figured I would have to sooner or later...

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:10 pm

frymail2005,

Do you have the steps necessary to reset the lamp timer? let me take a look around... This way we can troubleshoot make sure it not the ballast.

azzie
Contributor
Contributor

Postby azzie » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:11 pm

Hi can anyone help me i have a samsung dlp model sp56l7hx was in storage for a year got it out and would not turn on only cycle 3 times then nothing changed the bulb still the same so changed the ballast worked for a couple of hours now doing the same thing again!!!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:38 am

this can be the colorwheel.. did you get any color distortion before it shut down?

azzie
Contributor
Contributor

Postby azzie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:12 am

No but i have changed the colour wheel now aswell and its still the same!!!

azzie
Contributor
Contributor

Postby azzie » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:00 pm

got it to come on for half hour now the sound is on but no picture!!! the lamp will not come on.

Gigatron
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Gigatron » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi everyone,

I have an HL-S56877WX and up until yesterday, it worked perfectly. Yesterday, I turned it on, and afer 45 seconds, it shut off. I still had sound, just no picture. I got the 3 blinking LEDs, indicating a lamp issue. So, I unplugged the set, pulled out and re-installed the lamp assembly (same unit), turned everything back on, reset the lamp hour counter (10,400 hours), unplugged the unit again (for a hard reset) - and still it shuts down after 45 seconds, showing me the same 3 blinking LEDs.

So, is there something I'm missing? The TV shouldn't be able to tell whether or not I used a new bulb, as long as the hours were reset. I don't hear any strange noises, the fans are running and I don't see any color distortion. Except for being slightly dimmer than the day I brought it home, it seemed to work perfectly.

What I'm not understanding, is what trips the 3 LEDs, if the bulb isn't flat-out broken? The bulbs are theoretically rated for 5000 - 8000 hours. Some people get fewer hours from their bulbs, some people get more hours from the bulbs, before they get the LEDs. It's not like the tv is designed to set off a service reminder at the 6500 hour mark, like a car does, at 3000 miles for oil service. Is there something in the set that looks at current settings (picture mode and brightness) and compares that to some factory-set brightness levels? For instance, does the set have a meter that says "In Pcture Mode A, at a brightness level of X, Light output should be Y cwp" and if the current output doesn't equal the factory pre-set, within variations for degradation due to age of the bulb, does it trip the LEDs?

Sorry for the ramblings, I'm just kind of interested in what makes this thing tick.

Thanks,
Fred

whymytv
Contributor
Contributor

Postby whymytv » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:48 am

My screen just got dramatically dimmer after 11852 hours on the original lamp. That's about 5 years. Not bad at all. Time for replacement.

whymytv
Contributor
Contributor

Postby whymytv » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:01 am

Replaced the lamp today and I can't even remember the TV being that bright!! Just remember to take the screw out that holds the lamp housing securely in place.

rikj14

Postby rikj14 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:26 am

I had the lamp shutting down issue. I performed the Lamp counter reset. It appears that fixed my issue. TV picture functioning fine for 2 hours . If not, based on the other posts I will go after the Digital Board next.

Note: always go back to the previous screen or start over to confirm your changes to the Lamp / factory resets were made.

rikj14

Postby rikj14 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:50 pm

Oh well after I power cycled the TV , Back to square one. I am going to see if I can fix the Digital Board myself. If not I will buy a Digital board or buy a newer TV. I really appreciate the info in this forum. It has given me hope if anything.

matts6887
Likes to Post
Likes to Post

Postby matts6887 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:18 pm

I have just put a new authentic lamp not a knockoff in my hlr4667wax/xaa dlp tv(samsung). The thing is, now; after replacing the dmd board, the color wheel, the ballast board, and the lamp i still can not get the lamp to fire. I dont even hear any spinning of the color wheel when it tries to turn on so i dont know where i head from here. Can anyone shed light on this one?

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:41 pm

Hello matt,

I think I responded to your message on this post:

http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1736413

e3duke

Postby e3duke » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:23 pm

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! 19,000+ hours on my lamp, I have a 56" Samsung DLP from 2006 that recently started not turning on, so I figured it was just an old tv and was going to have to throw it away. But after a little research and finding this forum, I decided to order a new phillips lamp (from discount merchant-shipped free and got it in 2 days) and cleaned the dust out of the back, all I have to say is WOW! I have a new tv again, and want to say thanks for all the advice that everyone has provided. I owe someone a beer too, because now my wife thinks I am a tv guru and she gets to return to watching her "Housewives from somewhere":) happy wife = happy life

Thanks again,

Duke

Return to “Samsung Discussion”