Three Lights flashing HLP6163W

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
elumina

Three Lights flashing HLP6163W

Postby elumina » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:00 am

I'm getting the three lights flashing signal from my Samsung HLP6163W
I was watching a movie two days ago. Yesterday I went to watch some TV and nothing happened.
Well the TV started up like always but then after about 15 seconds it went off again and the Three lights are flashing.

I looked around on here and people suggested taking the back off and cleaning it out which I did.

Actually I took out the bulb and the main display engine (I guess its called that) and blew them off gently with my air compressor to remove all of the dust. Realized that I need to do this regularly now though.
Put everything back together. Put some tape on that switch and started it up. Watched from the back hoping everything would work out just fine. All of the Fans started up and the lamp came on but after 15 seconds or so the lamp goes out and the lights on the front start blinking.

If the lamp is bad why does it light up?
Why would the lamp go out like that I thought the bulbs gradually got dimmer and dimmer over time?
What are some other things I can try before I order a new bulb?

I purchased an extended warranty I'm just unsure whether or not I should bother spending 150 on a replacement bulb if its not going to fix the problem. I called up the warranty company and they said that if I replace the bulb and its still dosen't work they will cover anything else. I guess if it isn't bad after all I will have an extra bulb right.

Thanks for any replies
E

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Re: Three Lights flashing HLP6163W

Postby Jason1976 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:57 am

Bad lamps can do his it also could be a bad ballast. The lamps are filled with gas as the gas heats up the wires inside maybe lose loosing contact. You always try a new lamp first. If that doesn't do it then ether a ballast or a power supply issue.

krtaylor

Re: Three Lights flashing HLP6163W

Postby krtaylor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:43 pm

Any updates?

I have a very similar problem with my HLS6187w. It turns on for about 15 seconds, and I can see the picture, but it shuts off and blinks the three lights. I have replaced the color wheel, since it was winning, and ballast. The person I bought it from said they had replaced the lamp, but it still was flashing the three lights. Should I still replace the lamp, or should I try the DMD board or PSU?

Thanks!

Return to “Samsung Discussion”