Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Poor picture/color quality

Postby FixItMeself » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:38 pm

I have a DLP HLP4663WX/XAA and have been experiencing several issues:

The color has been weird (reds are purple) for a long time.
The color wheel started whining so I replaced that - no change to the color problem and the contrast dropped after a while (blacks are kinda faded).
So I replaced the bulb thinking that was the problem - no effect.
Now there are very faint, white, flashy lines in the dark areas and the picture is becoming grainy and fuzzy - this problem seems worse for s-video than HDMI but the color issue seems worse for HDMI.
I've been trying different setting in the service menu and right after is when the lines showed up... is there something I could have changed to cause this?
I also changed the s-video connection and connected it to a different port... no change.
Is there a part that needs replacing or can this be fixed by adjustment?
Please let me know soon!
Thanks!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Poor picture/color quality

Postby grayfox » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:30 pm

Hello,

Sounds like you might be experiencing a DMD board issue... most of the times this requires a replacement of the complete light engine :(
you should also try every input and see if the menu screens are affected by the distortion??? this helps diagnose...
anybody out there have any advise? because my recommendation is to have a tech look at it!

Hope i can be of further help!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:46 pm

Thanks - I'll check that out... any way to visually tell if the DMD board is defective?

After my first post I realized that the grainy/fuzzy with faint horizontal and vertical lines effect is isolated to s-video.
It almost looks like some sort of intereference...?

P.S. I've been messing with the setting on the service menu and the contrast on HDMI seems back to normal. Also, I pulled the jumper on the DMD board (that is advised to do when you replace your color wheel) and so far the color looks like it might be good... I'll have to test further to be sure. I'll post back once I've done so to confirm or negate.
Last edited by FixItMeself on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:49 pm

:D good to hear, well theres some distortions on the screen and fail commands like form the remote control if a dmd is bad...

the reason i asked you to try all inputs is to isolate the problem this might just be a video board or maybe just an input board...
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:13 am

Input, right - sorry, missed that bit... I'm a bit dense right now - by input you mean does the TV respond to all the buttons on the remote?
If yes, I believe so... I'll check that out too and report back.
Thanks!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:36 pm

welcome, and yes that is exactly what i meant, i know in this context it is confusing!!! sorry!

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:41 am

Sorry for the delay in response.
Okay, input's fine and I've been messing with more service settings which seems to have sorted the color issue for good and might have fixed the contrast problem (still need to test that out a bit), but I've still got the grainy/fuzzy issue.
I've also got a banding effect between shades of light and color and there's a 3/4 inch shadow running along the bottom length of the screen (not completely black just kind of a blue shadow band).
Any further advise?

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:59 pm

Hmm after all that attempt at calibration with no success I think you might have to look for a new DMD board, does this distortion you describe affect the on screen menu???

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:02 pm

No, it does not effect the TV menus.
I am going to try a different DVD player to make sure that's not the problem - doubt it though 'cause all this started with changing the color wheel.
Will report back later.

Any ideas about the pixelating/banding effect? DMD too?

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:51 pm

Yes im afraid those symptoms, (if the distortion is happening with both analog and digital inputs) can pertain to the DMD board :(
but fear not, in saving a big screen like this the cost of a light engine is around 200$ which for an HD TV I think is relatively cheap price!

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:20 am

Distortion only for s-video... HDMI seems fine.
I don't minding spending what I have to I just want to be sure I'm getting the right part.
Gonna try the new player shortly.
Thanks!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:02 pm

So the HDMI seems fine? no distortion whatsoever? do you have a snapshot of the screen?

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:12 am

Think so. I've been focusing more on my s-video problem so I'm not positive... I'll take a closer look to be sure and let you know.
Here's a snapsot of the s-video whitish lines effect:
white lines.JPG
white lines.JPG (94.76 KiB) Viewed 41096 times

Definitely no white lines or blurry image on HDMI - just not sure about the color pixelating/banding issue.
The shadow at the bottom is a problem for both - here's what is looks like:
bar.jpg
bar.jpg (55.33 KiB) Viewed 41096 times

I haven't had a chence to change players yet (got five other people I share the TV with) but hope to do so soon.
Let me know if you need any more pics... these aren't the best.
Thanks!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:08 pm

While I think the lines are a board yet to be determined, (I think it will be either the Digital video or Main Input board) I think the white band (if this is not a DMD board issue) can mean either the projector or lamp is out of alignment, have you recently moved the tv? or opened it up? make sure to double check that the lamp is properly seated! Ive seen this before!

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:50 pm

I have been messing around quite a bit inside the TV, but I doubt that's cause - the shadow showed up after I began adjusting things on the service menu. I'll reseat the lamp to be sure.
No color banding on HDMI - actually everthing looks pretty good on there right now.
Just s-video problems.
I noticed a sort of flickering effect is accompanying the distortions.
When the movie is playing the lighting will amp-up slightly and then go back down.
I'm gonna go hook up an alternate DVD player now and I'll report back.

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:06 am

Nope, not the DVD player - same problem with my other one (shadow, distortion, pixilation).
I looked very close this time and there is a slight pixilation (color banding) on HDMI but no white lines, flickering or blurred color as far as I could see.
I've got some more pictures that I'll post tomorrow.
I'll also try to reseat the lamp this weekend.
Thanks for the help!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:20 pm

now were getting somewhere! :roll:
Ok so there's definitely a video board malfunction :geek: . If the HDMI input looks good then its the Digital video board; since this "digitizes" analog inputs like S-video :shock: ... Ill wait to see if I can help further with the images :oops:

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:44 am

Okay, here's the pics... a little late but here nonetheless!
I turned down the brightness so you could see the blurred color...

(S-video is on the left and HDMI on the right for comparison)
color.JPG
color.JPG (35.03 KiB) Viewed 41052 times

... and I tried my best to capture the digitized effect...

(Two different players - two differents connections and ports... both S-video)
digitized.JPG
digitized.JPG (20.8 KiB) Viewed 41052 times

I haven't had a chance yet to reseat the lamp but will let you know when I do... hopefully that will take care of the shadow.
Thanks!
Last edited by FixItMeself on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:54 am

hhmmmm let me ask my fellow techs for some insight! keep us posted!

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:52 am

Reseated the lamp - no effect, shadow's still there.
Took out the power board and there are two areas that are a bit brownish (don't know if that means anything), otherwise the rest of the board seems fine (nothing fried, melted cracked or otherwise damaged... that I could see anyway).
brown 1.JPG
brown 1.JPG (43.37 KiB) Viewed 41041 times
brown 2.JPG
brown 2.JPG (54.32 KiB) Viewed 41041 times

I'll take out the other boards later and report back.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:22 pm

I am sorry to be asking this so far ahead in our trouble shooting but I imagine this image looked better at some point? reason I ask is because S-video on a large TV like this will almost always look pixeled!

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:08 am

Yeah, heck of a lot better - I used to have a hard time telling the difference in quality between HDMI and S-video.
HDMI is a bit fuzzier than it used to be too (grainy and a bit blurry - like it's slightly out of focus) and the contrast for both just isn't what it used to be. S-video is far worse, probably because it is a less quality connection to begin with.

Any ideas about the lighting ramping up slightly and then back down every few seconds... something that regulates the bulb output - ballast maybe?

Good news is the the white lines seemed to have disappeared.
I don't know what exaclty fixed that - I took out the power board and cleaned it and gently jiggled the actuator to make sure it was in firmly place.
I did remove the actuator early on when I was trying to find out what the buzzing sound was coming from (before I replaced the color wheel)... could that have done something?

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:15 am

hhmmm :geek: I do not think that would make a sound but in the process of taking it apart and reassembling the TV it could have cleaned or properly connected something :P . Ok so now im confused, :roll: HDMI vs S-Vid, which get what?! :shock:

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:09 am

HDMI is a bit grainy and fuzzy (like a picture when the camera is a bit out of focus) and the contrast is very slightly faded - the digitizing (unsmooth color) is also only slight.
S-video is 2-3 times worse - looks like an old, faded, fuzzy print with digitizing.

The light amping-up/amping-down probably affects both connections but is masked by better contrast on HDMI.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:26 pm

In the process of troubleshooting, the first board I would change is the input board since it seems to affect both Analog and Digital inputs... and go from there!

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Okay thanks!
I'll keep you posted.

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:11 pm

Okay, I finally got around to taking out the analog and digital boards.
The analog looks fine and both are fully intact but it looked like burnt sugar on several parts of the digital.

burnt 1.JPG
burnt 1.JPG (80.94 KiB) Viewed 40969 times

I cleaned both boards up good and HDMI actually looks a bit clearer, but the s-video is the same.
Before replacing anything I'm going to examine the DMD and temp sensor.
If all looks well with those then I'll go ahead and get a new digital board.

I didn't know too much about electronics before my TV started acting-up... I'm going to be an experienced technician once I've finally got it working right! :mrgreen:

P.S. What is that burnt stuff?

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:10 pm

Here's a pic of the whole board:

digital.JPG
digital.JPG (254.32 KiB) Viewed 40968 times

I'll report back on the DMD board and temp sensor once I can to around to another disassembly.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:34 pm

Hello,
still haven't heard back , hope all is ok! this input board seems a little "sweaty" (the oily substance comes from overheating) also I recognize it from having replaced it more times than not! let us know!

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:37 am

Yeah, when you don't hear back from someone for a while on forums like this you think "Gee, hope they remembered to unplug the TV first!" :? ... *DZZZZZZ*! :shock:

Had a crazy couple of weeks but am hoping to get to it before the weeks end.
Will report on that soon as I can.

Thanks for the info - any idea why the board would be overheating?

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:39 pm

I know!

well the heating depends on how well ventilated the tv is, or proper function of the fans, but to be honest ive seen this wear on almost all TVs with some years on them..

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:07 am

Alright, got around to disassembling the DMD board and it is a bit "oily" but otherwise seems fine.
Cleaned it up and reassembled.
Did something really dumb and unscrewed the projecter lens to clean it - when I reassembled the TV the picture was all out of focus. :roll: Spent the next 30 mins to an hour trying to figure out how to recalibrate that (super pain in the behind... do not mess with that thing unless you know what your doing!).
Finally got the picture back in focus and (of course) the DMD board was off causing a black bar on the top of the screen.
Re-adjusted that and everything is working fine now (besides the usual distortion).
So, I'm going to go get a new digital board in a few weeks or so.
Will be sure to report back once I've installed it.
Thanks!

P.S. I also checked the temp sensor - seemed fine.

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:12 pm

Was finally able to order the board... hopefully will arrive within the week.
Will update you once I get a chance to install.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:15 pm

godd luck, let us know how it goes!

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:42 am

Got the part today and hope to install this week.
Will keep you posted.

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:27 pm

Well, nix on that.
The part I received is showing signs from overheating too - didn't know the company I was purchasing from sold used parts. :roll:
Sorry folks... gonna have to wait a while longer.
Hopefully I'll get it sorted with the company and this thing fixed before the end of the year! :mrgreen:

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:12 pm

oh no! :cry: who is the company?? maybe this is a common issue with this model...

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:52 pm

The site it Discounttvparts.com.
Sneaky site... only place indicating that they sell "recycled parts" is their About Us page.
I'm currently trying to work it out wth them.
Will let you know how it goes.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:09 am

ok, if you can get a part number off the board let me know ill help you find it if they cannot replace it =)

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:08 am

The whole board assembly is BP94-02065A - just the circuit board is BP41-00120C.
I can't find the circuit board new on it's own so if you know where I can find one great.
I found the BP94-02065A for around $140.00 new.
Thanks!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:19 pm

very sneaky people out there, but there must be some kind of Quality Control or Inspection... let me take a look and I'll let you know, good luck with them!

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:37 pm

Well, I've got the board already packaged back up but I can tell you that it has the same "oily" look mine does (pictured earlier) - just not quite as bad.
They said that the board has been tested by their Quality Control dept. but my concern is that if it's already showing signs of overheating that I'm going to have the same problem with it shortly that I have with mine now... a new one will at least last longer.
So anyway, hopefully their willing to work something out.
Tell you one thing - I'm definitely reading everything on a website before buying from now on!
Thanks for the help.
I'll let you know when I get a new board... one way or another. ;)

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:43 pm

;) yup you have to be careful with that fine print, store policies are rough.

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:46 pm

Company unmovable... returning part - had to pay return shipping and a 30% restocking fee. :roll:
Got a new part from someone else... should be here within the week.

So, lesson learned from all this: Avoid sites like DiscountTVParts.com! You pay for what you get... if it's too good to be true then IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE! ;)

Will update you when the part comes.
Thanks!

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:54 pm

Got the new board and it looks good!
Gonna try and install this week... cross your fingers! :)

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:53 am

DANG!
Nix on all that!
The distortion is back and so is the contrast issue.
I'm thinking this has got to be the DMD.
I turned the brightness way up and took a video that should show you waht's going on... will post it soon as I can.

Suggestions welcome.

Samsungtech
Likes to Post
Likes to Post

Postby Samsungtech » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:07 am

The problem you having is probably just the index delay which you need to adjust from the service menu,
if the model begins with an HLP then when you replace the color wheel , the new color wheel should come with a sticker that will have
the RGB values plus index delay fail to do this may cause the colors not to blend properly....
The index delay value is usually around 40-45
i hope this helps

kgoroway
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kgoroway » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:51 am

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:22 pm

Last edited by FixItMeself on Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FixItMeself
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby FixItMeself » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:28 pm

Return to “Samsung Discussion”