HLR4266WX/XAA picture solarizing

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
donnbarclay
Contributor
Contributor

HLR4266WX/XAA picture solarizing

Postby donnbarclay » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:02 am

To solve a different problem, after a bunch of online searching I found a few other sites (unfotunately not this one!) and replaced my color wheel. Figuring it was about time (6 years or so) I also changed the lamp. I ended up calling my parts sources and giving them the model, serial #, and other information to get the right parts. All went well and the set was silent and the picture brighter than it's been in years.

Unfortunately, when the image is on the dark side (read: True Blood) or shadowy, there is extreme solarization in the image. To some smaller extent, this also happens with talking heads, especially blacks or Latinos. Well lighted scenes, daytime shots, etc. are generally top notch.

I tried for about three hours to set the color/brightness/contrast/etc. slides, but had no luck. I am hoping that there is some other way to tweak or adjust the image somehow, but couldn't find anything. I looked at a bunch of posts on this forum (splotchy color, looks like negative, etc.) but didn't see anything that really matched what I'm seeing.

In one posting reply, someone suggested ordering the shop manual for about $28, but am hoping to find something more direct.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: HLR4266WX/XAA picture solarizing

Postby grayfox » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:24 pm

hello,

well it sounds like if you replaced the colorwheel properly and have a new lamp in there should be no problem, maybe the problem lies in an analog or digital video board, my first question would be if this TV has the same symptom on all inputs?

hope i can help!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

donnbarclay
Contributor
Contributor

Postby donnbarclay » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:37 pm

It seems to. I've only tried playing a DVD, in addition to my normal HD satellite viewing.

My son came by and mentioned that he thought he remembered something similar, though not so extreme, when I first got the TV five or so years ago. I kind of remembered that, vaguely, but it seems to have "worked itself in" over time--either that or I just got used to it. I don't ever remember it being this bad, however, which is why I was kind of looking for an adjustment solution. Nothing I have tried so far has worked particularly well. Is this sort of picture problem endemic in DLP tvs, or Samsung, or this particular model? I am not a major tv freak, so I can live with it, (I am coming to this position, anyway), but if I can find an inexpensive solution at this point it would make viewing a bit more enjoyable.

One other thing: I have my sat receiver set at 1080, though the tv was only rated at 720. I did change that to see if it made a difference, but it didn't seem to, so I figured pushing the best resolution through wouldn't hurt anything.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:44 am

what kind of inputs are on your Satellite and DVD?
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

donnbarclay
Contributor
Contributor

Postby donnbarclay » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:34 am

I'm using HDMI for both--from the units to a Denon receiver, then a single cable to the TV.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:39 pm

what kind of cable goes to the TV coax?

donnbarclay
Contributor
Contributor

Postby donnbarclay » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:12 am

I'm not sure how to answer your question. The only TV inputs are HDMI cables. I used to have a 75 ohm coax attached to an anttenna, but I'm out in the country a bit so never used it and I didn't hook it up when I shifted to full HDMI. No other inputs.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:02 pm

donnbarclay
Contributor
Contributor

Postby donnbarclay » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Sorry-I'm a retired English professor!

Yep--TV is fed by one HDMI cable. I'm using my receiver as an AV switcher: 4 in, one out, though I only have two in at the moment, Satellite box and BluRay disc.

I appreciate your patience over the days! I'm really beginning to think I'm just going to have to live with it until I either get used to it (not likely, but "accept" maybe) or it "ages in" to be less offensive. I figure if this fix lasts three years, prices will be down and quality up enough that I'll replace the unit with an LED 1080p wireless wi-fi smart TV for what this cost to fix so far. I hardly need 3D to get my jollies. I was hoping for an easy fix, as I mentioned before, but it's beginning to look that that ain't gonna happ'n!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:48 pm

Congratulations on your career! :mrgreen: And thank you for helping mold the minds of future leaders, hopefully most of your students will be able to credit you for flawless spelling in whatever takes the place of emails in the future :D

As for the TV :( I am sorry I could not help further with a quick fix, however it doesn't sound like you have tried an analog input directly to the TV... :shock:
If there is a way you can post a picture of the distortion maybe I could be of further assistance! :geek:

Have a wonderful day!

donnbarclay
Contributor
Contributor

Postby donnbarclay » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:27 pm

I'm still not sure what you mean by attaching an analog source. I did attach the antenna, but only could get a couple stations out of the 8-10 potential in the region. But I thought they were digital now, not analog. I disconnected my VHS about 4 years ago, don't know what else I could attach to check it out--and I'm not sure I could even find where I stored it to plug it in again. Would they be using a different board or something, which is why you want to check them out?

Anyway, the channels I could find looked okay, but none were broadcasting anything "dark," which is where my problem has been. I'll check them again periodically to see what I can find. There was some solarization on dark suits and in shadowing, but it wasn't dominant enough or on-screen long enough for me to really check it out. (One nice result is that I found out I can get the local PBS station in hi-def, which DirecTV doesn't give me right now. And I can get the station's alternate bands, which is a real plus! So I guess I owe you for prodding me to this discovery.)

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:56 pm

wow, i guess you're welcome! although it was your discovery :lol:

An analog signal (such as the coaxial antenna input) is one that has to go through the Digital Video Board which converts it into a digital signal ready for DMD projection. You can also try another analog such as the component (yellow-video, red and white-audio) input. :)

The reasoning behind comparing these two is that a digital input such as HDMI, RGB component or DVI, "skips" the Digital Video board and goes straight to the DMD. :D

The outcome of this trouble shooting can narrow down problems occurring in the Main Input Board, Digital Video Board and the DMD Board. ;)

i.e. if your screen looks perfect with a digital signal yet an analog input is disruptive, it is almost a sure cause the Digital Video Board is bad. Make sense? :roll:

Hope this helps! :mrgreen:

donnbarclay
Contributor
Contributor

Postby donnbarclay » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:11 pm

That doesn't sound like the DVB is a problem, so I think I'm going to hang it up. I appreciate your help and advice, but it looks like there isn't a solution readily available. When I bought the unit, DLP looked (to me) like a superior picture, and it was certainly priced somewhat better than LCD or plasma. The market and the technology has shifted since then, but since I bought these parts to the tune of around $400 I guess I'll hang on to it for another year or two before upgrading. In the meantime, I'll let SONY and Samsung, et al., hash it out and see what I can get at the time.

Thanks again for all your time and thinking energy putting this all together. I've learned a lot and enjoyed fiddling. Time to turn my energy to other, more productive, pursuits.

Donn

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:42 pm

Welcome! and I agree, it is what I am doing with my Mitsubishi (for an avid gamer like myself, the true black only delivered by a DLP is not matched by an LCD thanks to the backlight).
Glad you enjoyed the forum and good luck with the TV!

-Frank

Return to “Samsung Discussion”