HL-T6187S pulsing/tinting pic

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
CANARSIE

HL-T6187S pulsing/tinting pic

Postby CANARSIE » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:56 pm

Hey everyone,
I'm Gary and a newbie. I've been surfing the 'net and looking for a forum such as this in the hope of getting some advice for my sick Samsung LED DLP. I am a retired software engineer so I know a little bit of logic but very little about the hardware of all this stuff. I CAN change out a card or hook up a hard drive but I am very hesitant about playing with this. However, I'd like to hear some advice on what I should be doing with this set.
I've had this for 26 months and bought it new. No extended service contract, of course.
The indicator lights seem normal. When the set is off, the leftmost red light is on (standby?). When I turn on the set, the rightmost green light flashes until the screen come up and then goes out. No other lights flash or turn on.
The picture "pulses" and flashes a red tint to the entire picture and then returns to normal. This happens continually - flashing every second or so or faster and tinting about the same frequency. It may also return to normal for a few seconds. This started several days ago and seems to be worsening. The picture remains on and clear and well focused and the sound is fine. Just a pulsing/flashing and a red tint colors the picture. No funny sounds, humming or buzzing, etc. All the electronics are on a good surge protector, including telephone and satellite lines and, in fact, everything in the house is on "whole house" surge protection, as well.
Samsung only told me "you need servicing". Does this sound like failing LEDs and is this something I can pull and plug? Any other ideas/advice?
HELP, Please!
Gary

Eddie

Re: HL-T6187S pulsing/tinting pic

Postby Eddie » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:20 pm

I'm not too familiar with DLP sets using LED lamps. The thing you have to be aware of is probably the color wheel if it's giving you a reddish tint. If it's like the traditional DLPs, the LED is just a light source for the DLP chip. Then the colors are provided by some sort of color wheel I think. Take a look at that unit to see if it's making any funny noises. Use some compressed air to blow out all the dust etc.
--

Eddie

CANARSIE

Re: HL-T6187S pulsing/tinting pic

Postby CANARSIE » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks for the reply, but the thing about LED DLP technology is that there is NO color wheel or any moving parts at all - except for a cooling fan, if the temp goes too high. The three LEDs flash in sequence synchronized to the DLP chip which deflects the "mirrors" according to which LED is on at that instant. No need for a color wheel and no rainbow effect. I read all this on the Texas Instruments site, I think. They make the DLP chip. A company called Luminous makes the LED chips, called PhlatLights. Looks like they are easily replaced in a socket but I have no idea if they are the problem or the DLP chip or some sort of synchonization gizmo. I am not a hardware techie in any way so I keep hoping someone will recognize the symptom.
Thanks
:)

Return to “Samsung Discussion”