Should Color Wheel Spin Freely?

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Moofus12
Contributor
Contributor

Should Color Wheel Spin Freely?

Postby Moofus12 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:14 pm

I replaced the color wheel on my Samsung HLP5663W about 5 weeks ago with a new one from PartStore.com The TV worked fine for a few weeks. Then the lamp would not light up. I replaced the lamp and the ballast, but still no luck. I removed the color wheel and it looks fine and all the connections look good. However, when I try to spin the color wheel, it moves (not spins) but very stiffly. Should it spin freely?

Resist58
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Re: Should Color Wheel Spin Freely?

Postby Resist58 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:37 am

I would think it should spin freely, if it is stiff then the bearings may be bad. But usually you get bearing noise when this happens. From what I have read here, a faulty color wheel can prevent an electrical signal that allows the lamp to light.

verncad

Re: Should Color Wheel Spin Freely?

Postby verncad » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:01 pm

It should spin freely. It spins at about 6000RPM. Sounds like a bad bearing. That was my problem. If the wheel isn't spinning, the lamp will not come on. There is a video on youtube for replacing the color wheel. It looks daunting, but isn't that bad. I successfully replace mine. Go to youtube and search dlp color wheel replacement. Its 5 separate videos. I couldn't have replaced mine without it. One problem I had, there are two connectors that come off the color wheel assembly. One is a ribbon cable that has no connector, it just fits into a slot. I put mine in backwards the first time. When I reversed, it was fine. A techician will charge you $400 to replace the color wheel (part about $120).

Return to “Samsung Discussion”