Newbie! 61 inch hd61lpw42: bulb, color wheel?

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
vesprem1

Newbie! 61 inch hd61lpw42: bulb, color wheel?

Postby vesprem1 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:34 am

Hi all,
Every search I do for help on my TV turns up results from this forum, so naturally I found I need to post here for help. Thanks in advance.

I have a 61 inch RCA DLP (model hd61lpw42.) It's about 8 years old and just stopped working yesterday. Here are the symptoms:

1. Sound, but no picture.
2. Whirring sound (color wheel I imagine?) on power-up. It's always done this, and usually quite loudly, but it's not as noticeable when the tv is blaring so I never thought much of it.
3. TV will power up and stay on: the power LED (green) blinks 5 times (has always done this on power up) then stays on-but again, no picture just sound.
4. The color wheel (I assume, the noisy component anyway) repeatedly spins like it's trying to get the process going. Even without powering off the TV-it just cycles.
5. Did a hard reset-unplugged for about 8 hrs, but still no help.
6. After multiple power ups last night I did get a clear picture twice: once for about a second, once for no more than 3-4 seconds. Then back to black.
7. Leading up to this the image never flickered or had poor color quality.

Any ideas how to proceed? I'm leaning towards the bulb being bad (is there any way to tell this visually or with a volt/ohm meter?) However other posts about the bulb not firing without the color wheel spinning at the correct RPMs combined with the whirring upon start up has me questioning the color wheel as well.

Those are the symptoms I've noticed. Perhaps someone smarter than I can come up with other things I should be looking for/reporting on to help diagnose the problem.

I APPRECIATE THE HELP!!! Thanks.

vesprem1

Re: Newbie! 61 inch hd61lpw42: bulb, color wheel?

Postby vesprem1 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:07 pm

Hi again all,

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a new bulb from Discount Merchant and it WORKED!!! Thanks for advice on this board.

However now I have a dim/black/poorly lit spot in the upper left of the picture. I imagine it's an alignment issue as I installed the bulb myself and did not install a complete new housing. Would anyone care to confirm this before I go disassembling and reassembling again? Here are some pics:

Thanks again,
Mike

Return to “RCA Discussion”