RCA Scenium - not responding

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Sadaco

RCA Scenium - not responding

Postby Sadaco » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:07 pm

I have an RCA Scenium - we left the tv on the night before - came in the next morning. Picture was frozen on screen. No response from the TV - would not respond to the buttons on the front - would not respond to the remote. Wound up unplugging it to get it to shut off. Now - there is no picture - no sound. The lights come on in front - stay on solid. But there is no response. Pressing the buttons on the front shows no response. Can hear/see the fan running (took the back off the tv). Any suggestions are welcomed! I live in the middle of nowhere - there is no TV repair in the area and the thing is hard to haul out for repair. Any ideas on what we could try?

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: RCA Scenium - not responding

Postby ChubbsTech » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:47 pm

Hello Sadaco.
It sounds like a tricky situation, ok there are a few do it yourself tips that might help to narrow your problem down, so let’s get started.
First try cleaning and vacuuming the inside of your tv, also double check all the fans, this is to discard the possibility of a over heating problem that affects all the important parts.
When trying to turn on the tv make sure the lamp door is completely closed, there is a small switch that detects if the door is open, and if its is, it prevents the tv from shutting off for security reasons.
Since you already have the back of the tv open, physically inspect the lamp, make sure it isn’t shattered from the inside, also look for the color wheel, check if it is also cracked or damaged. Also try to hook up a DVD to the TV and try turning the TV on, see if you can get it to load the DVD.
By the way, how long ago did you buy you TV? Have you ever replaced the lamp? Do you hear any strange noises coming from the back of the TV?
Anyway, hope this helps you out, keep me posted for any new developments.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

Sadaco

Postby Sadaco » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:59 pm

Thanks for your response. I will try everything when I get home tonight and then update. I wanted to answer the other questions though.

We bought the tv about two years ago (used) it is a 2004 that was rented out for superbowl parties and whatnot.

We have replaced the lamp once.

My husband tells me that when he plugs in the tv it clicks once. No other strange noises.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:05 pm

Hello again Sadaco.
Ok, the clicking once means that the ballas is still ok, how ever if the lamp is more than a year old it might have met its end (especially if the lamp is not a Philips brand). How ever from the symptoms you describe the DMD board or digital video are my prime suspects. Well have to wait for those tests.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

Return to “RCA Discussion”