Infocus 61MD10 (rebranded RCA) 5 blinks

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
stuspencer

Infocus 61MD10 (rebranded RCA) 5 blinks

Postby stuspencer » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:49 am

Hey folks, thanks in advance for the help, hopefully.

TV was bought from Woot.com back in 2005.
On my set it is actually every 20 seconds it blinks 5 times. I get sound fine. The service manual states this is either bulb, the lamp door switch or the power supply. I had a spare bulb that shows the same issue. When I press the door switch I hear the relay click, so I that's not it. So that leaves the lamp power supply assuming the manual is correct. This is where I show myself to be a noob. I don't know what I'm looking for or what might be wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

BlueSocksMcGee

Re: Infocus 61MD10 (rebranded RCA) 5 blinks

Postby BlueSocksMcGee » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi,
I have the same tv and have both an answer and a question (I 2 am a noob though so watch out). The RCA model is HD61THW263 btw.
When this same thing happened to me a year back it was the lamp. I ordered a brand new one off e-bay and that did the trick. I wonder if the lamp you tried might be old. I currently have an issue with my tv where it blinks 5 times but the sound does not stay on and that is typical of a power supply or ballast issue. When I had the bulb issue the sound stayed on like in your description. So thats why I think it's the bulb for ya.

As for me I have no clue what I am doing. Can someone tell me where I can find the service manual or offer any advice on how I can diagnose if I need a new ballast, main power supply or an auxilary power supply all of which are available on www.discount-merchant.com but I don't want to buy them all if I don't need them (cuz I'm cheap)

BlueSocksMcGee

Postby BlueSocksMcGee » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:03 am

I have the same tv (rebranded RCA HD61THW263). About a year ago I got the same symptoms you are describing where the video would spradically go out but the audio would stay on and the lights would blink a bunch. Switching the lamp worked for me and I suspect the second lamp you tried might be defunked and here's why: I have a new problem with my tv where both the video and the audio freeze and then turn off and I'm pretty sure for me it's the ballast since I can see a component on it glowing red once I removed the cover and jerry rigged the lamp door. So audio stays on = lamp, audio turns off = power supply or ballast. I should also mention that other then being a geek I have zero experience with this and don't actualy know what I am talking about or how to spell correctly.

P.S. can someone confirm my ballast isn't supposed to have a glowing component? Thanks,

stuspencer

Postby stuspencer » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:59 am

Looks like you may be right, I had 380 V at the ballast filter, supposed to be between 300 and 390. Took the new bulb out, gave the old one a few smacks and stuck it back in (tech told me this trick, no clue why it works). Everything fired up.

Seems like a bad bulb now.

dreman32

Postby dreman32 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:04 pm

I know this is an old post, but I have one of these currently not working. 5 blinks. If you are in the KC area it is yours if you come and get it.

Return to “RCA Discussion”