No picture or sound?

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
dlre1185
Contributor
Contributor

No picture or sound?

Postby dlre1185 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:30 am

I have a 3 year old model #hd50lpw166yx7, was just watching TV when everything went off, I unpluged it and waited 5 min. and pluged it back in, the power button blinks 5 times and stays solid for awhile then blinks 5 times again. I purchased a lamp thinking maybe I would start there seeing I hadn't replaced it yet! It wasn't the lamp. I then decided to take it to a TV repair place and have it diagnosed, there saying that the color wheel is bad, but when I was watching it I didn't here any buzzing noises or nothing. They said they would replace it for $400, but I can buy a color wheel for $125 and told them I'd do it myself? Does this sound like a faulty color wheel to you? And if so, are they hard to replace?

Eddie

Re: No picture or sound?

Postby Eddie » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:40 pm

5 blinking lights of DOOM!!!

Well there are usually 3 or 4 different defects when these lights come on:

1/2: Ballast/Power supply
3: Color wheel
4: Lamp.

Most likely it's a lamp, but since you've ruled that out, I would say it may be the color wheel. You should ask the tech how they came to the conclusion that its the color wheel. A color wheel should cost no more than $90 for most DLP TVs. The labor to change it is about 1-2 hours. I've read people taking 4 hours, but they were by no means technical experts. A repair shop quoting you $400 is a rip-off in my book. Are they NESDA members? You'd better make sure. Maybe that $400 could be for other things as well.

The biggest problems I've seen for RCAs are those color wheels and their power supplies. Have them check that too as it might be the culprit.
--

Eddie

Return to “RCA Discussion”