WD-73831 New Lamp installed but getting red light

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
gutzz80

WD-73831 New Lamp installed but getting red light

Postby gutzz80 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:23 am

I just installed a brand new lamp for my WD-73831, I reset the TV waiting the appropriate amount of time and turned it on. The picture came on just fine and then after a minute or two it just shuts down and I get a steady red light on the front panel. I am not hearing any funny noises or odd picture displays. It just shuts down after the minute. The new bulb came with the ballast attached already. Any suggestions, ideas?

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: WD-73831 New Lamp installed but getting red light

Postby ChubbsTech » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:51 pm

Hello gutzz80.
I can only think of two possible reasons. One is overheating of the parts, solution: clean the inside of the tv with a small vacuum & a can of compressed air. If that dosent fixes your problem, then try resetting your lamp timer.
If you don’t know what that is, let me explain.
There is a program called the lamp timer inside of your tv that keeps track of the amount of hours the lamp is in use. Typically when you install a new lamp the Tv it will reset it automatically, but not always. If the timer is not reseat, the TV will detect the large amount of lamp hours and think its got the old lamp, thus shutting it off for security reasons.
Here are the instructions for most Mitsubishi models.

1.- Press MENU

2.- Enter 2470

3.- Initialize

4.- The tv will turn off by itself.

5.- Wait until the led stops blinking. And then turn your tv on.

6.- At the bottom is how many hours your tv has been on.

7.- Press MENU to exit.

Good Luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

gutzz80

Postby gutzz80 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:40 am

Nightkid,

I did what you said with respect to resetting the lamp timer. Everything went just as you said except for the last part, when I turned the tv back on after the tv was initialize, nowhere was there anything stating the number of hours the tv had been on. I have the following information on the tv screen after I punch in the 2470 code;

Initialize
Power Restore Off
Production Mode Off

In the lower left hand corner are the numbers:

Any other ideas? This bulb came with a new ballast attached.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Hello again gutzz80.
When you say that the lamp came with a ballast attached, have you actually installed it? Normally when you buy a new lamp the ballast is sold separately. When you ordered it, was it included as a package? When you buy a lamp it is not necessary (but it is recommended when you plan to keep) to buy a new ballast unless you are changing to a lamp with different voltage. Are you sure you got the right lamp?
Any way, back to the lamp reset. I got a Mitsubishi tv in my shop today, and tried the lamp reset instructions and I just figured out a better way.
Have the tv turn off, but still plugged to the wall.
Press MENU, 2, 4, 7, 0.
The lamp led will start blinking, leave it alone.
As soon as it stops blinking turn on the tv.
And you’ll have the lamp timer reset it.
Keep me posted on any new developments, good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

SDNewbieDLP

Postby SDNewbieDLP » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:20 am

I've a WD-60735 and the red lamp indicator came on. Purchased and replaced the bulb and still kept doing the same.

Followed your steps to reset the timer and it came on. So good note.

Brandon0825

Postby Brandon0825 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:53 pm

I've done these steps you said to reset the lamp hours. Once I turn the tv back on it does not say the lamp hours are reset. It goes to a language select screen. I've done this several times. My tv is a mitubishi dlp wd-60735. Any sugestions please!

Return to “Mitsubishi Discussion”