WD-73732 Red Lamp light after 5 min

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
nimmer23

WD-73732 Red Lamp light after 5 min

Postby nimmer23 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:31 pm

So yesterday I was watching TV and all of a sudden my picture goes out and the red lamp light comes on. I also lost sound on the TV as well. I waited about 5 min and then turned the TV back on. I got picture and sound and everything is working fine for about 5 minutes and then the same thing happens again. Any ideas?? I dont think its the buld because if the bulb was blown I shouldnt get my picture back, right? I dont wanna spend $200 for a bulb just to find out that is not the root of my problems. The TV is like 4 yrs old and its the original bulb

thanks

darkart77
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: WD-73732 Red Lamp light after 5 min

Postby darkart77 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:42 pm

Nimmer, it can be your ballast, the ballast board is in charged of providing your lamp with the proper voltage. Once the ballast starts going bad you CAN experience this symptoms. If your picture come on even for a sec. The lamp still doing it's job. Something else is provoking your light to come on. My first suspect is the ballast board.

nimmer23

Postby nimmer23 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:37 pm

Ok, so I took off the back panel of the TV and removed the lamp. I am assuming the ballast is the metal covered circuit board to the right of the lamp. If so, how do I go about removing it? It lookes like there is a fan on top of it, a black adjustment screw towards the rear of the TV. I can see 2 screws that are easy to get to next to the black adjustment screw, but how do I get the 2 screws holding the lamp power jack out?

Is it worth fixing? The TV is like 4-5 years old?

darkart77
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby darkart77 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:11 pm

Definitely worth fixing, You're looking at a ballast for this tv roughly $70. to $100. Bucks. If you have a good lamp, you probably won't have to worry about the set for a couple yrs.

moose916
Self-Proclaimed Guru
Self-Proclaimed Guru

Postby moose916 » Thu May 13, 2010 12:08 am

when my DLP Light bulb went out i had the same issue but regardless of wether its the ballast or a bulb. great possibility ur bulbs life is about done my big screen was cutting out i bought the bulb when it finally went out and i havent had a problem ever since.try getting the bulb and if it continues then u know its the ballast because the amount of time you've owned the TV is about the life span of a bulb once u get a new bulb and the problem persists then u know its the ballast. but um yea get the bulb and if the problem continues then get a ballast knock out two birds with one stone would be your best bet saving money and time then at least you have a new bulb or at least a warranty if the ballast makes it fail. i got like this when my screen bulb went out dont worry youre not alone :mrgreen:

Return to “Mitsubishi Discussion”