DLP lost picture. Don't think it's the bulb. :(

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
jorant
Contributor
Contributor

DLP lost picture. Don't think it's the bulb. :(

Postby jorant » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:43 pm

So, I've had to replace my 57 inch Mits DLP bulb one already. I knew it was the bulb, and replaced it. Very easy.

But NOW... now the TV won't get a picture when you turn it on. You hear sound from the TV show, but no pic. Here's the stupid part: When you turn it on, you can hear a staticy sort of clicking back behind the TV. It does it a few times, gives up, then the TV turns off.

There is NO red lights or anything that shows up. Just turns off and that's it. Have a nice day... no warnings.

So, what the hell is this? Anyone know what's going on here?

jorant
Contributor
Contributor

Re: DLP lost picture. Don't think it's the bulb. :(

Postby jorant » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:18 am

The flash code I get is 6-6. So... hmmm. I guess that means there's no light bulb detected? Is there a connection that just undid itself? Man, this sucks. :(

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:39 am

jorant,
The quick clicking noise is the ballast grounding out the voltage. This means that your Ballast is most likely bad or weak and can not spark the bulb. The lamp is also a possibility. I would order a new lamp first (as you know, you can always use a spare) and if it doesn't resolve your issue... then order a ballast.

Make sure you order the lamp from a reliable source like Discount-Merchant or PartStore... Be careful of aftermarket and fake lamps. Buy a Philips if there is a compatible one for your TV! I can't stress this enough... If your current lamp was bought from an unknown source or an un-authorized distributor, it may lead to overdiagnosing a simple problem.. which may cost you lots of money and headache like you have now!

bpowter

Postby bpowter » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:37 pm

im having the same problem with my wd73735 no picture only sound, status light on then when i power on only stays on 4 about a minute. lamp light is not on so i changed the ballast and it still the same thing, do u think its the lamp or high voltage board. im gonna try and test the input voltage goin into the ballast i thinks its around 300volts any help would be great

jorant
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jorant » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:50 pm

Is it possible to physically look at the ballast and say "ah ha! I can see that this is bad"...? I took the back off my TV, and I'll be darned if I can even find that thing!

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:45 am

The voltage being sent from your power supply to your ballast must be around 350V-380V on the mitsubishi. If the ballast is clicking fast, this means that there is a 80% chance that the ballast is bad.

You can not physically tell a defective ballast from a working ballast. Normally when this clicking occurs, you should see a flashing light on the ballast when it makes the clicking noise. The light is comming from the actual ballast and not the lamp when this happens.

Make sure you have a new lamp first, then replace the ballast. A bad lamp can cause the same symptom. As for the lamp, I always recommend Discount-Merchant as they are the cheapest and most reliable source for original parts.

Let us know how it goes!

bpowter

Postby bpowter » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:12 pm

i just bought the lamp so when it comes in i will let u guys know

ksj

Postby ksj » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:37 pm

I recently replaced the bulb on my wd52327 and got a great picture for about a week. Now I hear the quick buzzing sound of the ballast trying to start the bulb. After 3 tries to start the bulb, the tv turns off and displays a constant red lamp indicator. I'm guessing the ballast is bad. Could anyone give me an idea of how to get to the ballast to replace it?

Thanks

Return to “Mitsubishi Discussion”