Mitsubishi WD-60638 colors are red and green

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
toddmw
Contributor
Contributor

Mitsubishi WD-60638 colors are red and green

Postby toddmw » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:37 am

wd-60638 its 2010 model very low hours picture has a lot of green on peoples faces and lot of red also ive taken a look at the color wheel I don't see anything with my eye of something wrong with it.. its not noisy either any ideas hate to get rid of it was nice tv could this be a board problem or color wheel im lost as what it would be also it wont let me turn down the colors no matter where I turn it to it still looks bad

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Re: Mitsubishi WD-60638 colors are red and green

Postby ovadoggvo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:14 am

toddmw,

Thank you for posting information on your Mitsubishi WD60638 DLP Television set... I have a few questions for you with regards to the issue at hand:

1 - Do the colors also appear off in the Menu System?

2 - Is this color issue happening on all inputs? Please test Digital and Analog (analog being VGA cable from a laptop or computer) as well as all HDMI and RCA, and Component inputs if possible.

3 - When was the last time the lamp was replaced? Where was the replacement light bulb purchased and do you have any clue if it was a Philips or Original Mitsubishi versus a generic?

I don't think the colorwheel is at fault in this situation... but out of curiosity, does it make any crackling or whirling noises?

The Mitsubishi WD-60638 is a really nice 1080p television set and I want to point you in the right direction once I have more information. Another question I have for you is what is the lamp part number of your Mitsubishi WD-60638 TV set? The reason I ask is that the wd60638 dlp set came with 2 different optical engines.. Knowing your lamp code or mitsubishi part number is important. I'm assuming the part number would be something like 915B441001 or 915B441A01 and it would be written in your user manual or on the lamp itself.

Let me know and I'll do my best to help you out with your mitsubishi dlp set!

toddmw
Contributor
Contributor

Postby toddmw » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:12 am

not sure on the colors looking off in the menu ill check and see and also try the vga and the digital and get back to you....

I think this is the org bulb wife says she thinks sears had replaced it but this tv set sits in out family room and its 3 years old and id guess there maybe 50 hours time on it if that I just don't remember cause we have 2 of these tvs other one is the 73 in same brand look just alike here's what I found so far number on bulb housing ---SERVICE PN :915B441001 3093A 103705417101 --------LAMP PN :915P106A10 3093A 1037 05417101 these numbers are on the black housing white sticker do I need to look at the bulb its self and see if I can find numbers incase it was changed but reused the housing if thats possible maybe ?

as to noise coming from the color wheel I hear nothing that sounds any different

ill check out those other plug in types and see if it looks the same and also the menu Thank you so much for helping!! Todd

ok looked on the bulb its self for numbers all I see is a very small white sticker on back of bulb it reads 0342N75D BLCK PRINT STAMPED ON BACK OF BULB --- TOP OSRAM P-VIP180/1 0 E22

if needed I mite be able to get numbers off color wheel also found a ver small board on back side of color wheel I hadn't ever noticed before its very very small not sure what it would be

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:52 am

Todd,

Good job with all the info.. That lamp part number is helpful and you found it! Your Mitsubishi WD-60638 uses a Mitsubishi 915B441001 Replacement Lamp... Which is what that number is on the sticker. No need for the text off of the color wheel!

I just need to the answers to these questions when you get a chance:

1 - Do the colors also appear off in the Menu System?

2 - Is this color issue happening on all inputs? Please test Digital and Analog (analog being VGA cable from a laptop or computer) as well as all HDMI and RCA, and Component inputs if possible.

The info on the lamp tells me that it's an original OSRAM brand lamp.. which is pretty good. If you ever need to replace it out of warranty, you can upgrade to a Philips lamp which will probably give you a better life and possibly a brighter picture. Although the original lamp inside is OSRAM, I've had a much better lifetime by using Philips brand lamps instead of the OSRAM. I don't know how Philips makes it work better than the original, but it just does.

Let me know and we will figure it out!

toddmw
Contributor
Contributor

Postby toddmw » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:15 am

ok hdmi 1 looks different than the reg screw in cable coax.... menu on hdmi 1 looks gray ish in color faces look a little better

hdmi2 looks to have color problems menu box looks red or purple in color ..green on faces

hdmi3 looks to have color problems menu box looks red or purple in color green on faces

as soon as I select hdmi 1 from hdmi 2 or 3 or from the antenna the color changes

havnt found anything to plug into the av jacks yet im thinking hdmi 1 looks the nest maybe ? im really not sure they tend to look all off a little bit but big color difference in those 4 different inputs

is any of this helpful at all

toddmw
Contributor
Contributor

Postby toddmw » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:21 am

all in all the colors look off to "me " on all inputs but defiantly look different on hdmi 1 and the rest look to be the worst to me ..it has been unplugged for some time unless I need to do some adjusting but don't think that's the case cause I tryd adjusting it first go around and nothing changed but never did try adjusting on hdmi 1 which looks the best I think,, colors are not so overwhelming onhdmi 1

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:21 am

toddmw,

Thank you for doing your best to test all inputs on your Mitsubishi WD-60638 DLP TV. Do you know what the replacement lamp part number on your television is? This will help me determine which version TV you have. My guess is that your lamp part number is 915B441001. This lamp usually indicates that your TV is a V43 chassis and the lamp cartridge should have 915B441A01 on a sticker.

Also, when the last time you changed your lamp - and if you replaced it with an original, Philips, or generic bulb? The generic lamps can damage the optical block of the television set and this is what worries me. Hence, the question with regards to your Mitsubishi 915B441001 Replacement Lamp.

While you try to find out how to test your RCA / Analog VGA input - can you please enter your service menu and do a factory reset by turning off your television, then following this sequence on your remote:

A - Press Power to turn on your Mitsubishi WD-60638 DLP Television.

B - Press Menu - 2 - 4 - 7 - 0

This should get you into the service menu (which is different on each version V43, V43C, V43+, V43++)....

Depending on your TV version, there should be one of two options:

1 - Reset All Settings

2 - Initialize

Press ok on either of those two options... Let me know if the Mitsubishi WD60638 television colors change.

toddmw
Contributor
Contributor

Postby toddmw » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:39 pm

as to if I have ever changed the bulb as posted above I cnt remember if we ever had it replaced I dnt think so we have 2 tv that look alike one of them we did have replaced but thinking it wasnt this one ....here's what I found so far number on bulb housing ---SERVICE PN :915B441001 3093A 103705417101 --------LAMP PN :915P106A10 3093A 1037 05417101 these numbers are on the black housing looked on the bulb its self for numbers all I see is a very small white sticker on back of bulb it reads 0342N75D BLCK PRINT STAMPED ON BACK OF BULB --- TOP OSRAM P-VIP180/1 0 E22

ill try the reset on the tv in a min and reply back

toddmw
Contributor
Contributor

Postby toddmw » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:23 pm

ok I cnt find my tv remote used my cable box remote to go into the menu and reset in picture menu to factory ? is that the same as 2470 code you are talking about ? looks the same hardly any blue colors they are now red and red color seems to be green as long as peoples faces are green I still dnt have anything to plug into the av jacks is this enough for you to tell me what I need to replace to fix this tv I really hate to put it out for trash

toddmw
Contributor
Contributor

Postby toddmw » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:33 pm

Anyone have an idea what I need to replace to get my colors fixed

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:59 pm

toddmw
Contributor
Contributor

Postby toddmw » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:54 pm

no I was not able to cnt find our remote I used the cable box remote I have set up I use it for the power vol up and down when I push 2470 it changes to the cable part of the remote guess ill have to find a replacemt remote or buy one just to figure out what I need to buy to fix the tv ill look online for one and repost thanks

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:06 am

Toodmw,

You should see if a friend or neighbor has a mitsubishi TV remote. I believe there are many mitsubishi television remote models that will work on your TV. They all seem to have the same frequency for the menu button - and the numeric keys are all the same.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the remote for the Mitsubishi WD-60638 to work.

toddmw
Contributor
Contributor

Postby toddmw » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:55 am

ok I have the remote I went to the reset and went threw the steps and it has not changed anything colors are still way off

any idea what part needs changed hate to throw parts at it but at this point it seems like its something simple

toddmw
Contributor
Contributor

Postby toddmw » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:24 am

[attachment=1]tv.gif[/attachment]
Attachments
tv2.gif
tv2.gif (760.67 KiB) Viewed 26632 times
tv.gif
reds and yellows
tv.gif (687.32 KiB) Viewed 26632 times

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Postby ovadoggvo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:47 am

Toddmw,

Sorry about the late reply as I've been out of town and away from computers again...

The issue that you are experiencing does seem to be hardware related... Since the discoloration is also on top of the Menu system, this means the origin of this problem is Digital... if this was an analog issue, the digital screens such as the menu screen on the WD-60638 would come out with normal colors.

The most likely cause of this issue is either your DMD board (where the DLP Chip resides) or your Digital Board (board where the HDMI input is on)...

The way to test this is to connect a 100% analog raw signal to your TV - the only port that doesn't go through upscaling on your TV set is the VGA input (PC/Laptop connection)... If you connect a laptop or computer to the VGA input of your Mitsubishi WD60638 and the discoloration is also appearing on that input, then the problem is most likely your DMD board.

If your Analog (VGA) input does not experience discoloration - then the problem with your Mitsubishi DLP TV is most likely the Digital Board.

I hope this logic makes sense... Let us know if you decide to fix it and how it goes! You may be able to find these boards used online somewhere...

Return to “Mitsubishi Discussion”