Mitsubishi WD-62628 strange lamp issue

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Munkey990

Mitsubishi WD-62628 strange lamp issue

Postby Munkey990 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:18 pm

I have a strange issue with my Mitsubishi WD-62628. A month or so ago it showed the red bulb indicator. I installed a new bulb and everything was fine. The old bulb was not broken like the they usually do. Normally when a bulb goes the glass pin in the center is broken. This time the bulb looked normal. After about 2 weeks with the new bulb, again the red bulb light comes on. Tried resetting, unplugging for a while, nothing but the same red bulb light. Again I put in a new bulb and the bulb I removed looked OK but it fixed the problem. Now today after another 2 or 3 weeks, again the bulb light comes on and no picture on the TV. Getting very sceptical now. I remove the bulb and put the previous one back in and low and behold, it works again.

Maybe this can explain it better:

Step 1. TV stops working and gives a bulb failure light. Put in new bulb and all is well.

Step 2. 2 or 3 weeks later again TV stops working and gives bulb failure light. Install another new bulb and reset bulb light meter in menu. All is well again

Step 3. 2 or 3 weeks later again TV stops working and bulb failure light. Instead of using a new bulb I replace bulb with the one that was removed at step #2 above that supposedly failed after 2 or 3 weeks. All is well again

Any ideas what could be causing this? I have not yet tried just pulling the bulb housing and just replacing it again without changing the bulb. If this happens again, I will try that

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Mitsubishi WD-62628 strange lamp issue

Postby grayfox » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:12 pm

Hello!

This is actually very common, in my opinion, you keep resetting the ballast and the new lamp is powered on but the ballast is no longer strong enough to keep generating up to 15-20kV to fire it up. This is VERY common especially with Mitsubishi TVs which is why if you search the web you will find the ballast sold everywhere!

The one thing to make sure and I ALWAYS suggest is that you one make sure you have an OEM lamp, preferably a Philips lamp which is what most DLP TVs come with from factory. The model for this TV series is 915P026010. In order to get a ballast part number you will actually have to open up the TV and get a number from the board, if you order with the TV model it might vary.. For example I get a 939P978020 ballast part number but this might be different if it was assembled in Mexico or Canada..

fixyourdlp.com has a WIZARD on its homepage you can follow to cross check your trouble shooting, as well as GUIDES to see how to replace the ballast..

I hope this helps!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Munkey990

Postby Munkey990 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Thank You. I had suspected the ballast but was not sure. I will look at the guides to see if replacing the ballast is something I want to tackle or if I would rather leave it to the experts.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:54 am

No problem let me know if I can help!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Return to “Mitsubishi Discussion”