WD-Y577 shutting off after 10 minutes

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Honestien5

WD-Y577 shutting off after 10 minutes

Postby Honestien5 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:56 pm

Hello,

I am a first timer here. I have a Mitsubishi WD Y577 Television. The lamp usually needs to be replaced every few years and I replaced it in September. In November, the TV shut down and the red lamp light was solid, which usually means it's a bad lamp. I got a new lamp, and same thing. If I turn the TV off, and let it sit for a little bit, I can turn it back on and it works for another 10 minutes then shuts off.

I've tried the system reset on the front of the TV, I held down the power button for 30 seconds, then let the TV sit for 2 hours (which is what the technician I bought the lamp from told me to do) and I've taken the back panel off and made sure the fans were clean. When the TV is on, I can see that the fan behind the lamp is blowing, and I've made sure that there is enough room behind the TV so it's not overheating. But the panel where the lamp is does seem to get hot when the TV is on. I'm not sure what else to try at this point.

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: WD-Y577 shutting off after 10 minutes

Postby ChubbsTech » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:24 pm

Hello,

If your ballast has never been replaced it's likely that the problem is that. The ballast powers the bulb and after so long depending on usage but I have noticed usually after 5 years of using the TV the ballast will start showing signs of weakening. It usually starts having a harder time igniting the bulb. You will get the lamp error message anytime the lamp either fails to ignite or suddenly shuts off. What it does not tell you is why. A weak ballast will cause that although so will a defective color wheel. If you haven't noticed color issues I would lean more towards the ballast as the problem. Keep us updated please.

Regards,
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

Return to “Mitsubishi Discussion”