Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
jbolt128

TV has sound but no picture

Postby jbolt128 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:49 am

Make: Mitsubishi

Model: WD-60735

DLP - High-Definition Television

Purchased TV in 2008, On December 22, 2010 I had to replace the lamp with a new one that I ordered from Mitsubishi. After replacing the lamp the television worked great.

Today, December 28 (six days later), I turn the television on and what I get is sound but a black screen. This last for approx. 30 seconds then the television shuts off. Turn television back on still sound but no picture, then approx. 30 seconds later the television shuts off, this time with the red lamp light on.

I press system reset, try again, same results.

Then I checked the error code and got a 66 and from what I understand this is a lamp error meaning no lamp inserted, disconnected cable between ballast and lamp, or there is a problem with the lamp enable signal.

I wait an hour, take out the lamp, inspect it, see nothing wrong, replace it, try again, same results.

At this point, I am stumped on what I should do next. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: TV has sound but no picture

Postby grayfox » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:06 am

Hello,
I think it might be time to replace your ballast, this is the second most common problem with RPTVs and it is one of the consumable parts that need replacement at least once during a projection TVs life span. Weak ballasts can ignite an older more “spent” lamp since the mercury quantity might be lower, but has problems when it is replaced with a new mercury rich lamp. A sure way to diagnose this problem is an electronic “arching” sound emitted during ignition, like a buzzing, that is the sound of the ballast not being able to generate the 15kv needed to ignite the lamp. Another indicator is the lamp error code, since the lamp is not igniting, TV automatically believes this is an issue with the lamp, unfortunately it has no sensor for the ballast!
hope this helps
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Return to “Mitsubishi Discussion”