WD65733- Blinking timer light

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
jwalz1
Contributor
Contributor

WD65733- Blinking timer light

Postby jwalz1 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:13 pm

I want to thank anyone for any help in advance. I have done as many searches on the web as possible before coming here but am not a tv repair guy, just have a basic understanding of the set.

I bought a 73 inch to replace the old 65 (three years old and low hours). The 65 inch was moved into another room uneventfully, and left unplugged for about a month. When plugged back in green time light flashes. Resetting gets one click and back to flashing timer light. Code is 12 and unhelpful. I visually inspected the lamp which looks fine but does not give off any light during any reset procedure, and visually inspected the ballast which looks like new. I downloaded the repair manual for the heck of it and for part numbers.

I have not cleaned out the fan yet (will do this tonight) but it looks very clean to begin with. My other next step is to pull the main power board and visually inspect it to see if there are any obvious capacitor issues. Other than that I am at a loss.

I have a friend that wanted to buy the set for $400 (in working condition) and if I could fix it for less than $200 and still clear $200 I would do it. My other option is to just part it out for people who want to keep theirs running but don't know how to tell what parts are still good and which ones are bad and I don't want to sell people bad parts and don't know how to test them. I see working color engines get about $300 on ebay used. Or if it was about a $300 repair, and if I could be convinced it would be reliable I might just keep it for a second TV room.

Any suggestions on what to try? I am tempted to buy a main board and swap it and see if that does the trick, but that is about $300 new or $200 for a used one. But that seems expensive for a shot in the dark.

Any suggestions. I can solder well, and have a multimeter but don't know what I am doing with it.

Tanks again.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: WD65733- Blinking timer light

Postby grayfox » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:55 pm

Hello,
This sounds like a textbook lamp issue if you have NEVER changed the lamp on this set! So I as a tech would start with that, relatively inexpensive for your plans. ;)

I would like to point out there should be no soldering/cutting required in order to replace any board or part in your TV, its all just screws and plugs 8-)
Also DO NOT attemp to take your multimeter to the ballast>lamp connection (it gives out 15,000 volt ignition charge) enough to shock you and decalibrate your equipment! :shock:

This might also just be a weak ballast, but I am leaning more towards the lamp...
http://www.discount-merchant.com/Search ... ch=WD65733
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

jwalz1
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jwalz1 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:59 pm

I have never changed the lamp, but the characteristic "whine" that I am guessing is the fans and such does not occur. None of the regular sounds. Would those not still fire (fans) and TV sound if it were just a bulb? TV is unresponsive to any inputs to the power button and remote, and the light blinks even though the tv has never been turned on. Plug it in and flashing light, no response from anything.

I have no problem dumping $100 into a lamp if thats a high probability solution, but reading all these other threads around the net, people who had lamp issues usually still got sound or something. But again, I am not a tech.

I did not believe that replacing a board would require soldering, I see people replacing caps on older models with DM modules. This one does not have a DM module that I can tell from the manual just a main power board. I thought I had read a thread or two about bad capacitors being a common issue but may have to look again.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am just going to give the main board a visual inspect before I take a plunge on a bulb.
Last edited by jwalz1 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:01 am

hmm, no you are correct those green lights should not be flashing on their own, so if you press buttons on the set or remote, nothing changes, the lights keep on blinking?
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

jwalz1
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jwalz1 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:03 am

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:27 am

:?: ok then wow, i would suggest letting it reset itself, by leaving it unplugged for 48 hrs and then plugging it in.........

Return to “Mitsubishi Discussion”