Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Strongbrown
Contributor
Contributor

Mitsubishi WD-C657 No Picture :(

Postby Strongbrown » Mon May 02, 2011 5:08 pm

Hello all,
The set is a few years old, original lamp, no previous maintenance that I'm aware of- I bought it off Craigslist. I have it hooked up to a Panamax Power Line Conditioner. The picture has been very dim the past few months also.

Over the weekend, the picture went out (I use a receiver for audio, so I'm not sure if that's still running or not- I can't change the settings to figure it out). There is a solid red indicator light on the front which leads me to believe that the lamp went out. However, when I unplug it, plug it back in, and turn it on, it's a solid green light. I can hear it starting up but no light, then I hear a faint "chirping" noise, like a cricket, coming from the lamp area. Shortly after this, the indicator light goes solid red again and the set turns itself off.

I'm about to order a replacement lamp assembly, but I'm cautious to spend more money on (what I feel is) a low quality HDTV. My last one cost me $3,000 and completely died after only 2 years from the whole BGLOD issues. I spent tons of time and grief replacing capacitors and researching to be told by a repairman to cut my losses and just get a new tv.

I'd greatly appreciate any insight anyone could provide!
Thank you!
Warren

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Mitsubishi WD-C657 No Picture :(

Postby grayfox » Mon May 02, 2011 6:03 pm

Hello!
Does the chirping sound sound like an electronic buzzing sound??? if it does it can be a weak ballast failing to ignite the lamp. ;)
If the lamp is bad you can also get that same buzzing sound, have you physically inspected the lamp? :?:
a malfunctioning colorwheel can also make a whirling screeching sound and prevent your tv from booting up, to check for that you woudl need to take apart the TV and check to see if the color wheel is spinning correctly.. :shock:

hope this helps :mrgreen:
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Strongbrown
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Strongbrown » Mon May 02, 2011 10:20 pm

Thanks for the reply Grayfox.
I don't know how to describe the chirp other than the sound you hear from a distant cricket, chirping once a second or so for about 10-15 seconds, then stops, then shortly thereafter the unit starts powering back down.

I removed the light fixture and didn't see any signs of failure, but supposedly about 30% of dead lamps still look intact (according to the dude at the electronics store). If I replace the whole lamp housing, that includes the ballast, correct?

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Mon May 02, 2011 10:25 pm

Hello strongbrown,
The tech guy is correct it is hard to know sometimes if a lamp is bad, a year of good use is a standard good lifespan. Lamps do not come with ballasts, they plug directly into them and they are small (4 by 7 inch) boards that are easily replaced. If the sound you hear reminds you of a chirp/cricket this is most likely the colorwheel about to give out or already defective, I believe my comrade grayfox would agree.
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon May 02, 2011 10:40 pm

yes pepe, the screeching comes from the colorwheel spinning off balance, rubbing metal on metal and causing it to chirp or squeak. Just make sure it is not coming form a fan before you do a full disassemble!!!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

Strongbrown
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Strongbrown » Mon May 02, 2011 10:44 pm

Ugh. Well I just ordered a new lamp. I'll install it and go from there I suppose. Is the color wheel replacement easy/cheap? I'll keep you posted with my progress. I'm still very tempted to just get a lcd... :P

I appreciate your help!
Warren

Strongbrown
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Strongbrown » Mon May 02, 2011 10:55 pm

Whoa! I did some further investigation trying to pinpoint the sound and the "chirping" is definitely electric, like a spark. Looking at it from the rear, I can see light coming from the lamp when it does the rhythmic "chirp" or "spark" or whatever, almost like a strobe light. It sparks (with the accompanying light and sound) 12 times in rapid succession, then it's quiet and dark for another 15 seconds, then repeats the cycle 2 more times, then powers off with the solid red light. There is no visible video looking at the screen at any point in this process.

Any further insight? Did I just blow $100 on a new lamp? :P

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help!!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon May 02, 2011 11:31 pm

:!:
stop trying to turn it on!!!
this is most likely a bad lamp!!!!
at the worst a ballast issue...

Strongbrown
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Strongbrown » Mon May 02, 2011 11:49 pm

No more turning it on until after I replace the lamp. Got it! It didn't occur to me that I could be damaging it further by experimenting :?

I'll keep you posted. :)

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Tue May 03, 2011 4:03 pm

Maybe I exaggerated, sorry! :oops:
BUT if you keep forcing the ballast to try to ignite a bad lamp, it can weaken it :shock:
resulting in it being too weak to power a new Mercury rich lamp :(
Then you would have to replace the ballast also, which is relatively inexpensive if you do it yourself (its very easy) :roll:
Do not worry all Projection Television have to get their ballasts replaced at least once during their lifetime, the one problem is service center charga an arm and a leg, when the part itself you can find it on discount-merchant.com for under 90$! :P

hope this helps! :mrgreen:

Strongbrown
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Strongbrown » Mon May 09, 2011 10:26 pm

Hooray!!! I installed the new Philips lamp and it fired right up. This was my first lamp replacement and I had such a bad experience with my last set, that I suppose I was automatically fearing the worst.

Thanks again for your insight all!

Cheers.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grayfox » Mon May 09, 2011 10:55 pm

Glad I could help! :D

Enjoy!!! ;)

keep us posted (hopefully you wont need too!) :shock:

Return to “Mitsubishi Discussion”