LG RU-52SZ61D delayed start issue.

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
StageNine

LG RU-52SZ61D delayed start issue.

Postby StageNine » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:17 am

First thing every morning it takes 8 to 10 consecutive back to back start attempts before the green start LED engages to finally fire up the projector bulb. (Recently replaced).
After that initial start there is no problem for the rest of the day for the DLP to start right up, even after a few hours of off time in between start ups.
The picture and sound are bright and clear after all start ups. No problem.
But without fail the following morning it will take the same multiple start attempts to fire the projector bulb and repeat the above described cycle.
This just recently started after no problem for years. Why?

Technician
Master Technician
Master Technician

Re: LG RU-52SZ61D delayed start issue.

Postby Technician » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:50 pm

This can be a Ballast problem depending on how many times you have replaced the lamp and how long you have had your tv? The ballast need to generate a 15K Volt initial jolt just to ignite the lamp, and as a lamp runs the course of its life, the ballast need to compensate for the lowering mercury vapor in the lamp until it fails or shatters. The more time you have changed a lamp, the more adjustments it has made in terms of generating energy and hence wears out.
[url]https://www.discount-merchant.com/[/url]

StageNine

Re: LG RU-52SZ61D delayed start issue.

Postby StageNine » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:48 am

The projector lamps have been replaced at least 4 times. And so It sounds like a weakening ballast might be the problem after all. How much trouble would it be to change it out re this particular DLP unit?

I've already called a certified LG repair shop a few days ago for an estimate. That would involve a $200 first visit. Probably it would be determined that the ballast is going bad? If so that means another visit at $100 plus materials. After all is said and done i'm thinking $500-$800? Is it worth it? I can't afford a new replacement which would be at least $2000+.
I suggested i cart the 52" DLP myself to their shop, but they said it was against their current policy as the big screen units take up to much working space.

I used to repair damaged Radar units as a navy AT 40 years ago, so if the fix is not to involved i'm willing to attempt a schematic assisted in house repair to save a few bucks. Of course the assumption is really an educated guess re the ballast. What do you think?

P.S. I really appreciate this forum and helpful guys like you. Thanks.

Return to “LG/Zenith Discussion”