Last attempt at getting some help from the board..

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
magicman320
Contributor
Contributor

Last attempt at getting some help from the board..

Postby magicman320 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:43 pm

Last attempt at getting some help from the board..Then shes off to the dumpster.
My wife keeps telling me "We need a new TV" lol
I keep saying No, im gonna fix this one.
Anyway............Here it goes:

Why is my set turning off after a couple seconds.
I first replaced the lamp and with some help from a member (Night Kid) I got it working fine. (the lamp door wasnt completely shut)
Now sometimes it shuts off after a couple seconds when i turn it on. I will turn it back on and it keeps doing the same thing. Sometimes i hear the sound and no picture. But eventually it shuts back. 1 minute.

No weird noises. It actually turns all the way on for 30sec.
Serial#RU52SZ51D
Lamp ser# dont know the exact serial of the lamp but it is identical to to one i removed.

Please help anyone. I love this TV

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Last attempt at getting some help from the board..

Postby grayfox » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:28 pm

Hello Magicman,
Right off the bat I think this is going to be a ballast problem, but do not worry and if it is, tell your wife you CAN fix this! The ballast is what powers up your lamp and connects directly to it and from the power supply, it is a 3 by 6 inch board that has just 2 plugs and a couple of screws, nothing to cut or solder. Before I try to help, I need a little more info on your 52" LG
How long have you had it?
How many times have you changed a lamp?
What indicator lights are coming on?
And are you sure you're not getting a short "buzzing" electric sound? this regularly happens when it fails to ignite or shuts down...

Thanks!
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421222828/ssb/images/thumb/1/18/MetalGearSymbol.svg/50px-MetalGearSymbol.svg.png[/img]Unit Foxhound

magicman320
Contributor
Contributor

Postby magicman320 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:21 pm

Thank you, Thank you, Thank You PEPE.
How long have you had it?
How many times have you changed a lamp?
What indicator lights are coming on? And are you sure you're not getting a short "buzzing" electric sound? this regularly happens when it fails to ignite or shuts down...

Again thanks for the reply and help. This board is my only hope.

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby Crowell » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:27 pm

As far as my knowledge goes, there is only 3 parts that can prevent the TV from turning on. One is the lamp, another one is the ballast, and third is the color wheel.
Since you already installed a new lamp, then it safe to say that it’s not the lamp, that leaves the color wheel & ballast. My suggestion is that you take a look at the color wheel. See if it’s damaged, or won’t spin properly. If it’s OK then I would replace the ballast.
I know it’s a game of trail & error, but it’s the only thing at the top of my head.
Knowledge is the one true power

magicman320
Contributor
Contributor

Postby magicman320 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:24 am

Thanks for the reply.
How do i locate the ballast? and how do i remove it? where do i get another one?

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:40 pm

Hello magicman320.
The ballast is located near the lamp enclosure, here is a reference guide from a Toshiba so you can get an idea, obviously its not the same. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1528
If you do plan on buying a new one, look for it online, with the part number ( printed on the ballast) & TV model. Try http://www.discount-merchant.com/ , Samsungparts.com or Ebay.com
Hope this helps you out.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

Return to “LG/Zenith Discussion”