Sony XBR Series Green Blob on the Screen!

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Sony XBR Series Green Blob on the Screen!

Postby ovadoggvo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:54 pm

I have seen many posts about this problem around the internet and I thought I would shed some light on the situation... Sony 3LCD Projection TV's experiencing GREEN or BLUE blobs on the screen are very common issues! As a matter of fact so common that there was a lawsuit against Sony and their XBR Series LCD Projection TV's. Here is some information I had posted elsewhere that I decided to create a thread on:4

A little bit of a background on these Sony LCD Projection XBR Series TV's. In early 2007 there was a massive class action lawsuit that caused Sony to pay for all repairs made before 10/31/2008 ... This class action lawsuit was similar to the one posted against Microsoft and the XBox 360 unit. The class action lawsuit stated that regardless of the date of purchase, any XBR1 Rear Projection Television set will have a warranty against it's optical block until 10/31/2008. This covers TV's sold as early as 2005. With this being said, I have the original Sony news article posted below even though they have removed this news bulletin from their website:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
From SONY:
Posted: 03/24/2007

As part of the Sony commitment to quality, Sony is announcing that it is extending the limited warranty (parts and labor), in the United States, on the optical block of KDS-R50XBR1 and KDS-R60XBR1 model SXRD Televisions until October 31, 2008, regardless of purchase date. This extended warranty does not apply to replaceable projection lamp and other parts that may be used in the televisions. All other terms of the Sony limited warranty continue to apply. Sony utilizes a network of hundreds of qualified independent third-party servicers to perform in-home television warranty service. Sony, through its authorized servicer network, will endeavor to repair your set within 30 days of your first contact. For diagnosis, warranty service, or if you are not provided a repair within 30 days, please contact Sony at 866-850-8674.

In addition, Sony is announcing that for any owner of a KDS-R50XBR1 or KDS-R60XBR1 model television who paid out-of pocket expenses on or before May 1, 2007 for an estimate or repair service to replace the optical block, Sony will reimburse the customer by mail for the cost of the optical block and the labor expense to replace it, subject to certain conditions. To receive reimbursement, please follow completely the directions on the claim form for reimbursement attached HERE; all claims must be postmarked by December 31, 2007. See the claim form for complete terms and conditions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would recommend aproaching Sony and the number above (if it still works) with this problem first. See if they are willing to help before you spend money out of pocket on the TV. In the worse case scenario, you can purchase a light engine OR optical block (whichever is available) for your TV set for $250-$350 from one of the links below:

Light Engine Complete
http://www.discount-merchant.com/Search ... ONY+ENGINE

Optical Block
http://www.discount-merchant.com/Search ... NY+OPTICAL

The part that is failing on these TV's is the 3LCD RGB Lenses located at the HEART of the OPTICAL BLOCK. I will post more information about this on this thread just to keep everything together for everyone.

Eddie

Re: Sony XBR Series Green Blob on the Screen!

Postby Eddie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:45 pm

I saw this post and thought, "Oh, no, another green blob on a Sony."
--

Eddie

Return to “Sony LCD Projection Discussion”