Sony KDF55E2000 Red Light Blinking 3 times

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
jsthomas75

Sony KDF55E2000 Red Light Blinking 3 times

Postby jsthomas75 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:23 pm

I have a 2.5 year old Sony KDF55E2000 and this past Saturday evening the TV started to shut itself down every 15 minutes and go into a 3 blink code. I was able to power the TV back on, but 15 minutes later the same thing. Turned the TV off for the evening, powered it up on Sunday and had no issues for about 2 hours then started to get the same problem. I called Sony and was told that code was either the LCD door was not in place or the Lamp housing was not in place. I had not been in the side panel of the door, so I assumed that was not the problem, but they wanted me to go in and check both. I opened the side door and unlocked the LCD panel door and pulled it out. Then I lifed up on the trigger and pulled the LCD lamp and housing out. Replaced both and made sure they were secure, now when I power on the TV I get nothing at all but the 3 blinking lights, no picture and no sound. I hear a click, the fan powers up, then click and things power down. Picture never comes up. I assume there is something making the TV think the LCD or the door is out of place and it powers down to protect it. I pulled the T1 board out and checked the lever for connection and that appears to be fine. This is the board that engages to tell the TV the door is closed. To make sure, I have taped the trigger down making it appear the door was fully engaged and reinstalled the little board. This did not fix the problem. I know there is a T2 board that verifies the lamp is in place, but now sure if that would be an issue or not. In any case, I am baffled. I would assume it was something in that are because messing in there (per Sony's recommendation) caused the issue to get worse.

Does anyone have any other things I could check before I call out a very expensive repair person?

Thanks,

Justin

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sony KDF55E2000 Red Light Blinking 3 times

Postby Angel » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:35 pm

Hi Justin,

I think you should check your fans and air vents first, if there's dust then that would be the problem. If your TV is not well ventilated then turns itself down over and over again due to overheating. Since after turn the TV ON again works for 15 minutes I don't think the LCD door or the Lamp housing is not in place.

HTH.
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

jsthomas75

Postby jsthomas75 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:44 pm

Problem is now that Sony had me check the door and the LCD itself to make sure it was in place the TV won't come on at all. That is what is leading me to believe there is something else causing the problem. The TV itself is in a wide open area and the vents and openings around the back of the TV are clear and free of dust. I did think of the overheating issue as well because it was every 15 minutes or so, but when the TV came on, it appeared that all the fans would power up as necessary. Now the only way I can check the fans will be by removing the back of the TV. That is where getting a good repair man may come in!

Not sure what else I can do.

Thanks!

JT

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:11 pm

I recommend you to check the fans inside your TV as well. Have you ever replaced the lamp?
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

MagFan

Postby MagFan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:53 am

Blinking red 3x is power to lamp.

To fix my SXRD, I just unplugged the lamp....removed totally from the set and than replaced, making sure the plug was firmly seated.

Problem solved though I DO intend to have a spare lamp and housing on hand for when the lamp goes south altogether.

Return to “Sony LCD Projection Discussion”