Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
tcallen37
Contributor
Contributor

PT-52LCX16 Questions

Postby tcallen37 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:24 pm

Hello,
I have a Panasonic PT-52LCX16 and I replaced my lamp with the TY-LA1001. When I started it back up, the TV made some buzzing noises from the back a few times and shut off. I thought it might have had something to do with me taking off the back panel prior and blowing out the dust, but I'm not so sure. I unplugged the TV, took out the replacement lamp and tried it again. After a few more times, I eventually got it working & reset the timer. THANK GOD YOU GUYS HAD THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR RESETTING THE TIMER! The TV manual stated it would come with a replacement lamp, but it didn't. I was going nuts trying to figure it out. The Lamp Indicator light was solid red even after I replaced the lamp and reset the timer. Is this normal? I then unplugged the TV, let it sit for about an hour and turned it back on. The lamp indicator is now off and the TV seems to be working properly.
I read some of the other blogs and some of them mention the ballast usually needs to be replaced at the same time. I also read that blown capacitors are common with Panasonic models. How would I know if the ballast or capacitor is defective? Would the TV still work if they are?

darkart77
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: PT-52LCX16 Questions

Postby darkart77 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:37 pm

I'm not sure about the capacitor, but the ballast, would cause this symptoms. The buzzing and clicking are common indicators of the ballast, not being able to produce the necessary voltage to support the new lamp. It isn't necessary to change the ballast every time you change a lamp. However if your lamp indicator is coming on and the buzzing is there. I would definitely go for the ballast.
here's a few companies I've come across, that carry these ballast, shopjimmy.com, tv parts.com and these guys DiscountMerchant.com really good prices and fast shipping.
Hope this was of some help.

tcallen37
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tcallen37 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:41 pm

Thanks for your advice and the references to where to get the parts. That was another question I was going to ask was where to get the parts, but I forgot to include in the previous blog.
The buzzing has stopped, the indicator light is off and everything seems normal. I think I now know what to do if it happens again. Regards.

fixmytv
Contributor
Contributor

Postby fixmytv » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:55 pm

I too just replaced my lamp...350 dollars later and now the tv won't turn on. When I first put in the new lamp there was a burning smell, but figured it was because the lamp was 'new'. The tv continued to work fine.
And now, I try to turn the tv on and it makes buzzing noises and then powers down and the lamp light comes back on. Is this probably a ballast problem? Is it an easy fix? And cheap? Don't know how much more $ I want to put into this tv.

Thank-you! :)

darkart77
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Postby darkart77 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:12 pm

fixmytv, it definitely sounds like a ballast problem the buzzing you're hearing is the ballast attempting to light up your lamp. It isn't very expensive. you can check for availability at discount-merchant.com. they have good prices.

fixmytv
Contributor
Contributor

Postby fixmytv » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks so much...I'll check it out.

tcallen37
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tcallen37 » Mon May 10, 2010 6:24 pm

Everything was working fine until recently, now there is no picture. When I turn the power on, there is a periodic buzzing noise from the back of the TV then it turns off and a flashing indicator light from the lamp. I gather this is the ballast? If so, is it simple to replace or am I going to need a professional to do it? I've looked up online with the recommended websites for a replacement ballast but no luck. I'm also having a hard time trying to locate the part number for the ballast. I've seen the part number LSJB1206-1 on ebay with the matching description but it's used and they want over $200 for it. I want to make sure this is the correct item before I go and fork over more money to resolve the problem. Kind of a lot of money now for this TV that's only 5 years old. Again, your help is much appreciated.

fixmytv
Contributor
Contributor

Postby fixmytv » Tue May 11, 2010 2:04 am

I'm having the same trouble again. The buzzing noise and then the red flashing light. Sometimes we give the tv a good hit and it actually does turn on. A cheap fix for a little while! I asked around about the ballast and it was going to be around 300 dollars. Definitely hard to fork over 330 for the lamp and then another 300 for a ballast after only 3 years with the tv!

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Tue May 11, 2010 11:13 pm

Hello tcallen37 & fixmytv.
Ok before you buy new ballast inspect the lamp connector, see if it’s burned or melted in any way. If so, there is a high possibility that you didn’t insert the lamp with enclosure all the way in, thus creating an arc of current.
As for the ballast part number, you’ll have to remove the ballast from the metallic casing that it is bolted in so you can physically see it.
The ballast is still the prime suspect since the Panasonic ballast is known for having these problems.
Keep me posted on any new developments.
Good luck.
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

tcallen37
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tcallen37 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:42 am

Thanks for your advice NightKid. Although I think I didn't insert the lamp with enclosure all the way in initially, I eventually got it working. I took apart the back panel of the TV to get a good look at the internals and I didn't see anything burned or melted. Not really knowing what the ballast looks like, I'm guessing it's the main panel or board with all the smaller components on it and wires attached. It measured about 6 1/2 x 9 1/2 inches. There was a gray covered cable running from a small rectangular box attached to the corner of the board running to the back of the lamp connector. I took a picture of it and attached it to this post.
I tried contacting Panasonic but they're taking their time getting back to me with part numbers or even availability of the part. The website tvparts.com just came back online and I sent a request through them. Other than that, I've had no luck locating a website that can help with parts.
Attachments
IMG_0599.JPG
IMG_0599.JPG (44.49 KiB) Viewed 31628 times

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Tue May 18, 2010 12:08 am

Hello tcallen37.
I hate to be the barer of bad news, but that doesn’t look like the ballast, it looks more like a power supply main board.
The ballast is a 7 x 4 inch (approximate) board that is connected directly to the lamp.
Here is link of what a Panasonic ballast looks like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Panasonic-ballast-L ... 7000082432
The part number is the biggest number printed on the board, it’s under the legend “P / N” or “CODE NO”
Good luck.

tcallen37
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tcallen37 » Tue May 18, 2010 6:53 pm

Thanks NightKid, I was afraid of that. What's funny is that the part number I saw listed on ebay from someone for the ballast I'm looking for (LSJB1206-1?) was printed on the power supply main board among all the other codes and numbers.
I took another picture of the back of the TV. If you get a chance, take a look at it and see if you can try to point me to the right direction. I see some similarities with the picture you supplied me and my TV but I just want to be sure. The metal housing with the code LSXA0771 printed on it, contains the lamp assembly. There aren't too many wires that run from it. My guess is the panel to the left of that is the lamp ballast?
Attachments
IMG_0601.JPG
IMG_0601.JPG (42.17 KiB) Viewed 31607 times

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Postby ChubbsTech » Thu May 20, 2010 5:35 pm

Hello tcallen37.
From the pictures that you where able to provide, it looks like the ballast is bolted in a parallel way to the power supply board, but remember, it’s a separate board.
IMG_0599.JPG
IMG_0599.JPG (40.02 KiB) Viewed 31600 times

IMG_0601.JPG
IMG_0601.JPG (37.66 KiB) Viewed 31600 times

Hope this helps you out.

tcallen37
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tcallen37 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:37 pm

Thanks. That makes more sense. That's were the number was located on the board, however I didn't know they were separate. That at least points me in a better direction.
Yah, tried to get information from Panasonic but they're about as useless as a bag of rocks. I guess I'll need to lug this TV to a service center and have them take a crack at it. Regards.

vaguard

Postby vaguard » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:23 pm

I realize this is an old post but this topic still fits... at least for me anyway. Had the kids tell me the PANASONIC PT-52LCX16 just cut off on them. A day later, the oldest said the same, no lights no nothing but in both cases the tv turned back on and ran with no problems. Then it happened again but this time it would not turn on. Again no lights no nothing. Let it sit overnight unplugged and still the same result. Did a search and found this forum and read what was wrote and did some research, good luck on finding a LSJB1206-1. I did manage to buy one but there were no other choices (I paid $104). I did call Panasonic and after they researched I was told that they are out with no expected re-stock soon. This hasn't been the best tv in my opinion as the hdmi ports have failed and now this. Hopefully this board will fix the problem and if it does I would like to address the HDMI issue. If not, I will take th TV out to the shop and strip it for parts as it seems that others may need the known good parts.

**Edit**
Replaced the power supply and the tv started working right away. After seeing all the dust and crude that got in there I figure a yearly cleaning may help with keeping the system running better. Anyway, it was a simple fix which doesn't take a lot of skill.
Last edited by vaguard on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tcallen37
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tcallen37 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:50 pm

Well, I sent the questionable lamp back to where I bought it from and they sent me a replacement. The replacement works better. However, the TV now sometimes takes a few tries before it starts up. The led power indicator and the temp indicator flash intermittently. It may do this a couple more times before it starts up. Sometimes it starts right up the first time. I haven't lugged this thing into a repair shop just yet because it hasn't quite pushed the envelope on my patience.

alimuh007

Postby alimuh007 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:29 am

hey im having a very similar problem with my tv vangard said that he replaced the power supply where and how are the questions and how much did it cost? i checked the power cord and by u.s. standards i got the correct voltage of 120vac is this what you mean vangard the cord or is there another device called the power supply????

vaguard

Postby vaguard » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:09 pm

No, it isn't the power cord it is the power board. Look at the 4th post up from yours and you will see the exact part I replaced. As for Price.... no idea now, I could only find the one board and paid $104 for it as stated in my previous post (I included the part number in that post as well). As for checking it with a volt meter, you could do that but these things are so modular that common sense can get you through most of it.

Last year it was worth it to me to replace the board and get the tv up and running but as of last night we had a huge lightening storm and you guessed it... bam, I was sitting right in front of the tv when it got hit. I smelled that wonderful burnt smell and knew what had just happened. With the HDMI ports failing from the get go and then having to replace the power board and then also having to replace the bulb... this tv is best left in the broke category. The spare parts are hard to find and the cost... it would be cheaper to buy a used set off of craigslist. I think that's what I'll do, when I want a new set I will probably pick one up around Christmas when the sales are in full swing.

Return to “Panasonic Discussion”